How can I keep my blood sugar up throughout the day?

Since I've been pregnant every time I get hungry it's just a matter of minutes before I feel sick and lightheaded (like I'm about to pass out). Then a few minutes later if I still haven't had a chance to eat I get really shaky. How can I keep my blood sugar up throughout the day to avoid this? How much should I be eating. And what are the best things to eat to keep your blood sugar up for a little bit longer? Thanks!

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 4:19 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• small meals or snacks throughout the day to keep your blood sugar at an even level.
    or carry things with you to nibble on. have some juice if you can't eat. my mom gets low blood sugar really fast at work, so she carries glucose tablets while at work, and will chew on them if levels drop suddenly. but she's not pregnant.
    codysmama2609

Answer by codysmama2609 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• small meals like 5 a day and that shoud do u
    bmdred

Answer by bmdred at 5:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I was going through this too just a little over a week ago. My doctor told me that I needed to start eating 6 small meals a day. Not to get to the point where I'm actually hungry because that will make me feel too sick to even eat! Hope you get to feeling better soon! I know it''s no fun to feel this way!
    Amy75972

Answer by Amy75972 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I have issues with this (though not due to my current pregnancy). What I do is carry juiceboxes around (it will up the sugar quick), and when I get dizzy, I put some Dec-A-Cake under my tongue (the writing gel for cakes). That usually does the trick for me. Also, as the other posters said, eat a lot of little meals, so that it's spaced out throughout the day. Hope you are feeling better soon!
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 2:40 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I have had this problem my whole life and now that I'm pregnant, like you, I want to be extra careful. Sugar or glucose tabs just make me feel worse! Sugary juices too!

I carry beef jerky or raw almonds with me everywhere. My hunny even bought me a dehydrator so I can make my own jerky without chemicals. I just make up little baggies of almonds and make sure I have one in my purse. The protein will keep your blood sugar balanced longer.

Breaking up your meals into several mini meals is a good idea too. Don't feel embarrassed if you have to graze all day. Sometimes I snack every 2 hours!
    ecodani

Answer by ecodani at 10:15 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I had GD with my second and third sons. So, I learned that you have to eat throughout the day. I ate 6 small meals a day. I avoided fruit before lunchtime. I ate protein for my snacks (cheese and crackers or a cheese sandwhich, peanut butter on toast, yogurt with nuts). And I always made sure I had protein whenever I ate a carbohydrate. I also avoided sugar filled foods.
    bhwrn1

Answer by bhwrn1 at 8:10 PM on Sep. 20, 2009