How do Buddhists deal with the dead?

I'm curious about this.
My mom died about 5 months ago and i ordered one of those necklaces that have some of her cremation remains in them. Well, there was a bit left over and i think i'm going to let my almost 5yr old (he is legally my brother but i'm adopting him now so i usually call him my oldest son) do something special for closer for him.
I have my own ideas but he's been asking me a lot about Buddhism lately so maybe it would be neat to add some of his spiritual interest in this. ...
Any ideas?

outstandingLove

Asked by outstandingLove at 4:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Here this is the Buddhists Guide to Death... It might help.

http://www.urbandharma.org/kusala/dad.html

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Hmmm... I would have to look in to it... I'll be back!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• wow..you had me at 5yr and asking about buddism.....my son is 4 1/2 and could care less about anything religious oriented! as far as he's concerned, church is a fun place....and i thought i had a smart one! lol
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 4:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• That is a very loving thing you are doing for your son.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 4:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Sabrina -thank you for that site. i will look into it when i can. it looks like a lot of reading.

hairnazi- well, he's asking me about Buddhism because, although i am Pagan, i have told him that i will teach him about any religion that i can if he asks. And then i listed a few of the major world religions and for whatever reason he eagerly asked to be taught Buddhism. ...i dont think he really understands ...but that's what makes it such a perfect opportunity for me to teach him. :)

pnwmom- Thank you. although i'm not sure if you're talking about the adopting him part, or the closer part, or about trying to teach him about the spirituality he has requested to learn about. lol
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:52 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I am talking about all of it but more especially allowing him to research his own spiritual path.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 5:10 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• find the book, Sidhartha by Herman Hesse.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 7:47 PM on Sep. 19, 2009