Do u think anyone under 18 should be allowed 2 get married?

Why can people age 14-17 enter into a legally binding marriage with parental consent but they cannot legally smoke cigarettes or drink alcohol or vote until age 18 & 21?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:32 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• because 18 is the legal age of immancipation from parental authority....?
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 4:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I think it depends on what state your in... I know on my parents wedding license my father had to have his father sign for him because he wasn't 21, but that was 40-some-odd years ago. And if its in your home, with parental permission, and your not leaving the property, you can drink.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 4:35 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• To the original question, No I don't think anyone under 18 should be allowed to marry, because even when you are 30 your still not sure what your getting in to ...enough said there.

To the second question we have enough adult alcoholics and cigarette smokers in the world already why have teenage ones..Enough adults are dying of cancer and alcoholism, why should the world allow them to die at an even younger age?

Just something to think about

avon_lade

Answer by avon_lade at 4:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• immancipation in my state is 15 i know cause i was immancipated at 15 1/2
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I GOT MARRIED WHEN I WAS 18 AND THAT WAS 17 YEARS AGO . ITS THE KIDS CHOSE'S , IF THEY WANT TO DO IT LET THEM AND IF ITS BAD CHOSE THERE LEARN FROM IT AND GET A DIV- . ITS NO BIG DILL ! ! ! I LIVE IN TEXAS ! !
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• One person in the couple has to be over 18 and they take on the responcabilities of their mate just as the parents did. It's not easy to do even with parental concent. And it's a much better option than immancipation where they are just left on their own...

Frankly I see it this way. If the parents and a judge sign off on it, it was most likely the best choice.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Nope. I don't think any one under 18 should be able to get married even with parental consent. If they are that much in love at 16, 16, 17 then they can wait until 18. As for the ability to buy cigarettes/ alcohol, I think the age requirement should be raised in both cases.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• No I don't think they should marry until they are legal adults.  I don't think they should be able to drive until they're 18 either.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 4:47 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• RAmen Beeky
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 4:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I knew a lady that was married at 16. He was 19. She was in a horrid situation with an abusive father and dirty drug addict mother... Getting married most likely was the best option for her. They were together 20 years before they divorced and she is now owner of a large chain of restaurants... Had she staid where she was, god only knows what would have happened...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2009