Having trouble with my stepdaughter, please help!

Shes nearly three years. She has two brothers 4 n 6 and a sis, my daughter, of almost two. I see them every weekend since she was born. I would have thought that she would bond with me more, being that I am a woman and have always been around, but I was wrong. I swear she hates me. To the point where I just get stressed when I see her. She wont ever talk to or around me. I ask a question and she just stares. I am happy n nice but nothing changes. When I look at her and her sis to check on them, she drops everything, or gives it to her sis, n freezes. I have never disciplined her unfairly when it comes to her sister. They fight and they both get punished equally. I try so hard to bond with her, it never works. I try to do her hair or play dress up. Nothing. When she does get in trouble, I start talkin and she just balls. Its been a year since this started n i just want to give up. Her mom hates me, maybe thats it? Some advice?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Maybe take her for an ice cream just the two of you or get a cookie or something, and sit down and have a heart to heart. Tell her that you love her too and that you could never take her Mommies place that you just want her to be apart of your family too. Tell her that she is very important to your family, she is big sis, and you thank her for being such a good sister. Tell her that it hurts your feelings when she doesn't talk to you and that you just want to be her friend. Ask her if she can be your friend. Then try asking her why she doesn't want to talk to you. I wouldn't underestimate how capable she is of communicating exactly what is going on. Good luck and don't feel guilty, you are doing what you can.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• kill her with kindness she'll come around
    mirit.rose

Answer by mirit.rose at 4:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2009