How many other moms breastfed because they felt pressured in to it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I did feel somewhat pressured in the beginning with my first, but I am grateful that people pushed me to keep trying. Now, I can't imagine NOT nursing my children.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I was never pressured at all. I just knew that breastfeeding was what was natural and how babies were meant to be fed. I never considered anything else. I never even knew that so many people actually chose not to breastfeed their babies. My oldest got a few feedings of formula when we were in the hospital because I was so sick that I couldn't even hold him. That is what I thought formula was for.
    aehanrahan

Answer by aehanrahan at 5:54 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I have two kids. I breast fed both because I felt like if I didn't everyone would think I was a bad mom. I hated it! And I mean HATED IT! If I had it all to do again, I would have told everyone to shove it and they would have gotten bottles, but I didn't. I had horrid PPD and breast feeding only made it worse because that meant no one would help me. And my oldest would eat at least once an hour because he was so big... It was just a horrid experience with him. With the little one it wasn't so bad, but I still hated doing it!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• i was pressured, and though i tried and tried, and made my daughter scream and scream (she didnt want to breastfeed, she pushed me away and screamed every time i tried) people judged me and told me i was a horrible mother because i wouldnt hurt my child to feed her (i would have to break her arms and smother her to get her to take to my breast with how much she fought). She was formula fed and a very healthy two-yr-old and you cant tell the difference between who was formula and who was breastfed among her and her friends. So yes, i felt pressured, and then felt guilty. Now i accept it and think those that judge others are bitches that need to mind their own business. I plan to breastfeed with my next children if they will let me, if not, then i wont.
    Ginanne

Answer by Ginanne at 6:01 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• People tried to.. the more they pushed the easier my decision was to formula feed. My drs were fine with my decision... the only people who really weren't was WIC. Sounds bad, but I always made sure to wipe a bottle out in that office and the people who wanted me to breastfeed and told me I had to do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:08 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• The more I read "pressure" or am personally pressured, the stronger my resolve to formula feed.

You can get more flies with honey.....the breastfeeding nazi's out there need to remember that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I was pressured by people, I tried it for about a month and basically told everyone they could shove it and started to formula feed. I don't regret the decision either. Breastfeeding is not for me.
    irishangel710

Answer by irishangel710 at 6:23 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• With my first I was very young and had no interest in BF, with my second I tried and was told to just stop and give her a bottle ( I was much older, but had no support). With my third I was not pressured to but I had to BF him, he was allergic to all formulas. I was happy I was able to BF at least one of my children.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• If any body gave me any kind of preasure on me, I told them thanks, but I will be a mother and I will do things my way.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 6:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I didn't feel any "pressure". I did get lots of support and encouragement though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2009