Number music and teaching alphabet?

2 questions:
1. Does anyone have any number songs that go past ten? There are a billion 1-10 songs but DD already knows those numbers. She's in the teens now but I can't find any music for her to count with. We don't NEED the music, but it'd be nice to have.
2. How did you go about teaching lowercase letters? She's got all the capitals down. Should I show them right next to each other on flash cards? Should I just focus on the lowercases for a while then combine them? Any other ideas?
*DD's almost 2 but I thought I'd ask here since all kids in this age group have passed this already.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 7:20 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZshZp-cxKg&feature=fvst

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9pfGCquhCM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ly9av3jsiPg&feature=PlayList&p=F133BC0A6361FA13&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euJmyBimDBM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azhR8LzfYww&feature=related

Youtube has all kinds of good educational stuff if you know what you're looking for :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Why flash cards? Why not just teach her through play? Why the rush? She's not even 2 yet. If you're just following her lead...been there, done that, my 3 year old is reading.

Her books have upper and lower case letters. Building blocks have upper and lower case letters. Coloring books have upper and lower case letters.

There's a difference between counting and recognizing numbers. Recognizing how to count objects is different than either of those. Slow down and teach her fundamentals if you want to continue teaching...but what good is it if she can count to 100 if she doesn't recognize how to count objects or recognize what the number looks like? (same with letters)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• She is only 2, ease up. You can have her draw the lowecase letters in fingerpaint, sand, pudding. Teach her the lower case and then have her match the lowercase letter and the uppercase letter. But, do NOT push her. I have 4 year olds in my preschool class and most of them cannot match the lowercase and uppercase letters yet. It is a skill that is taught in preschool, not to 2 year olds. Read to her, if you really must teach her these things. Make sure she is looking at the words along with you reading them.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• right now just point out the letters in a book, on a sign in the store etc....when she starts to recognize lower case letters point out the upper case ones next to the lower case ones. like in a sentence in a book, when the first word is A and another word is apple, point out the big and little A's and that they are both the letter a, just a different way of writing it. she'll eventually start to point them out to you. for the numbers, i'd focus more on counting objects to 10. give her a few pretzels for snack time and count them with her. if she can count objects up to 10, than start adding 2 or 3 more at a time, and count with her. flash cards work as well, however don't hold attention as long. focus more on shapes, different words that she may not know yet. that kind of thing right now. more elaborate body parts (knuckles that kinda thing) different types of animals. those are the things they like to learn at that age.
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• She's done perfectly well with recognizing numbers, counting, recognizing and saying her alphabet, recognizing and saying her colors, shapes, etc. She just can't write. I'm not pushing her, she's just fortunate enough to be able to catch on to things quickly so I figure there's no point in wasting time when she does so well. We read often and she pays attention to the words. I was thinking flash cards just cause they're bigger than what's in her books.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 10:52 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• There is a teacher named Dr. Jean and friends who has a lot of teaching songs, including numbers, days of the week, months of the year, and math.

I am a subsitute teacher, and an education major, a lot of the teachers I sub for use these songs on a daily basis. Worth the money!
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 11:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• She isn't expected to write yet. My 3 year old is writing and it's an advanced skill for him. Recognizing lower and upper case (matching them up) is a 4+ year old skill.

When she does start writing, you have to be sure to work with the correct pencil grasp (even just for coloring) and writing the letters the correct way. That's why it's better to hold off and wait until they are older, and developmentally able to do it.

This is from the OT's we've had for the past 2 years.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:51 AM on Sep. 20, 2009