Who wants to know winners of the straw poll?

WASHINGTON — A straw vote suggests former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee is a favorite among religious conservatives to be president in 2012.

That's according to a vote held Saturday at the annual Values Voter Summit in Washington.

About one-third of the 1,800 registered attendees cast ballots indicating their preference among potential GOP candidates. Huckabee was tops with 28 percent of the vote, which the group calls a straw poll.

Four people tied for second, each with about 12 percent of the vote. They were Minnesota Gov. Tim Pawlenty, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin, former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney and Rep. Mike Pence, R-Ind.

Those casting ballots also listed their top issues. They were abortion, protection of religious liberties, same-sex marriage and tax cuts.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think Huckabee is going to run though. I hope Romney or Pawlenty don't think about running.
    But that is just my opinion. I think it is messed up though that you couldn't vote online like in 07' only the people that were there.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

Do you know who won last year??
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 7:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Won what? Can you be more specific?

Mitt Romney won the straw poll in 2007 is that what you are asking?
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• The straw poll was not cast in 2008 because it was an election year.
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 7:54 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Won what? Can you be more specific?

Yes, that's what I meant! Just curious!
    sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I think a group who lists abortion, gay marriage, and protection of religious values have no business picking the next candidate. Those are not the massive, major issues that are facing us, they are issues that will always create dissention, and IMO, take away from the issues that really need our focus.

I think it's interesting that Romney won in 2007. He was the pick in my precinct, by a large majority, and that is who my precinct voted for at the state convention. But he didn't take the state, however.

I don't think Huckabee will run either.
    LiliM

Answer by LiliM at 4:14 PM on Sep. 20, 2009