What ages are best for a bunk bed ??

We have a 2.5 year old and I am due in less than a month with our second which is also a girl . We were thinking that once the new baby is out of a crib that we would do bunk beds .
The baby would be about 18 months to 2 years old and the oldest would be around 5
. WOUld that be to early for bunk beds ???

baby1love

Asked by baby1love at 7:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• Seriously, it depends on the kid.

My current 5 year old was in the top bunk at 4. My three year old and 2 year old...no way will they be in the top bunk at that age!

It depends on sleeping habits, maturity, etc.

The bunks we bought (stairs at the end....no ladder) said it wasn't recommended for those under 8.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Thanks !
    baby1love

Answer by baby1love at 7:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I have a 5 year old, a 3 yr. old and a 16mo. old and would not feel comfortable with my boys up on a top bunk yet, but that is just me. I need to do something though because we only have 2 bedrooms and 3 boys. I am now pregnant with my 4th. The younges sleeps in our room now, but we plan to move him into the room with the 2 older boys when the baby is born. I was considering bunk beds, but decided against it for now. It all does depend on the child. My son would probably be fine. So it all depends on your comfort level with bunk beds.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Trundle beds! That's what we're going to do with our youngest two who have to share a room. Right now, the youngest is on a mattress on the floor, and we slide it under the other bed during the day.

We're looking for a trundle bed where the bottom can pull all the way out, leaving a pathway to get to the older bed in the regular bed part. (otherwise, we'd have to crawl over the younger one to get to the older one! LOL)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:23 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Most bunkbeds don't recommend top bunks for kids under 5 years old, at the earliest.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My son was 3 in his loft bed but it had a tent so he couldn't fall out. My Daughter I think would have to be 9 to sleep in one at the rate she is going! She will be 2 in a few months and I can't even picture her in a toddler bed yet!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 10:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2009