what exactly is poor eye contact?

First off- I'm a worrier.....so it goes without saying that I might be making more of this than neccessary.

Lately I've noticed my son is not making "great" eye contact. Then I started thinking....what is normal eye contact? Any thoughts?

I've got a LO who is 8 months, he is crawling (army style), laughs, smiles, is starting to feed himself, looks when I point to things, answers to his name 80% of the time, reacts when I say no, looks for dropped items, babbles, reaches/grabs for things he wants, plays "peek-a-boo", will look at us from a distance of a couple feet, but SEEMS to avoid eye contact up close and personal. He will look at us directly if he wants to steal my glasses. He also doesn't reach out to us all that often, unless we reach for him first. Does this sound concerning to anyone else? My husband doesn't seemed worried in the slightest

jboyum

Asked by jboyum at 7:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It might just be that he doesn't care for anybody being real close to him. Sort of like invading personal space. If he makes eye contact most of the time then he is fine i would think. If you are too worried, then ask the pediatritian. It sounds like he is a typical 8mo. old to me though.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 7:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• He sounds like a typical 8 month old to me. Of course if you are concerned ask pedi. I know mine told us as she gets older an important thing to take note of is if she turns her head to look at us and then turns to see what we looking at. Basically that she shows a interest in what we are doing/looking at. Does he do that?
    gracesmom09

Answer by gracesmom09 at 8:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• sounds like a healthy 8 month old to me! As long as he's hitting his milestones (even a little late is ok) and you say he looks at you from across the room and responds to his name, all seems well! If you are really concerned talk to his doctor, there is always the possibility that he could have some sort of vision problem, they do screenings at around 9 months for that though, just make sure you get it done. Not to worry you, just something to think about and make sure you mention to the doctor.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 8:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• He's too young to worry about that just yet. Please stop or you will make yourself sick. Enjoy him while you can.....
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• "an important thing to take note of is if she turns her head to look at us and then turns to see what we looking at. Basically that she shows a interest in what we are doing/looking at. Does he do that? "

Yeah - most of the time...for example if he is in his crib he always keep track of what I'm doing around his room. He will even move his bumper out of the way so he can look out and see, or if I'm writing in my journal he will creep over and see what I'm up too. Thanks for your answers....
    jboyum

Answer by jboyum at 4:18 PM on Sep. 20, 2009