Getting my son to eat Stage 3 food?

ok so we started my son who is 8 months on stage 3 food yesterday and he loves the breakfast cereals and the fruits and veggies but the dinners with the actual chunks like the chicken noodle ones and the pastas and all he won't eat he flips out. i tried last night he ate a few bites and freaked out and then i caved and gave him fruits and then i tried again at lunch the same one and he did the same thing so i gave him veggies after trying even longer and just now i tried dinner again i also tried another one and he started crying and everytime he opened his mouth i put food in and he wouldn't even open his mouth when he cried. so i didn't cave i just gave him a bigger bottle with cereal since i don't want him to think he will get different food if he flips out.

so i'm looking for any advice to get him to eat the stage 3 food. also he does eat some table food but he mostly slobers it to death and makes face

MarksMommy09

Asked by MarksMommy09 at 7:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's not exactly necessary, just supposed to be a step b/t baby foods and toddler foods to get your child used to chewing. However, it is not uncommon for babies to resist some foods up to 10-15 times when you first introduce something new. I would keep trying for a couple of weeks and see what happens. GL!
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 8:14 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My son never ate the chunky baby food. We stayed with stage 2 and the non chunky stage 3 until he moved on to table food. It's fine.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Try giving him little pieces of food to sit and pick at while you feed him dinner. It might distract him. I wouldn't worry too much about the stages. He is probably ready for some table food soon. Just keep trying. Good Luck.
    LilyandEmmasMom

Answer by LilyandEmmasMom at 8:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• He doesn't need stage 3 food. It's a choking hazard anyway. You have what you think is a mouthful of mush and swallow....with a chunk in it.

Just give him what you're eating.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I agree with anon 929, just give him what you're eating. He'll be more likely to eat it if it's what everyone else is eating & you save money by not having to buy baby food, It tastes like crap anyhow. Babies can eat food with seasoning in it. My 11 mo eats spicy curry, my chili & she loves the General Tso's chicken at our favorite Chinese restaurant. Too much salt is not good for babies, but spices are fine. It will also help expand your child's pallet & will make them a less picky eater when they get older.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I would say skip the stage 3 foods or hold off for a little while more. I never used it for my 3 yr old and my 10 month old is still on stage 2 foods and table food cut into small pieces. There is nothing that say that you have to use the stage 3 food.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 1:51 AM on Sep. 20, 2009