We're in a recession?

Texas Gov. Rick Perry (R), facing a tough primary challenge from Sen. Kay Baily Hutchison (R), left many puzzled when he declared his state was recession proof.

Said Perry: "As a matter of fact ... someone had put a report out that the first state that's coming out of the recession is going to be the state of Texas ... I said, 'We're in one?'"

Paul Burka of the Texas Monthly: "This gaffe is going to stick. It is going to be national news. It will come back to haunt him in a campaign spot. If Hutchison can't make something of it, the Democrats can. You cannot be callous and cavalier when people are losing their jobs and their homes. I don't care how ideological the Republican base is. Unemployment in Texas just reached the 8% mark. Everybody knows someone who is suffering in these times. Everybody has lost part of their life savings. It could cost him the race."

Will it cost him?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Not likely. Texas has a much stronger economy than the rest of the country.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 7:54 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• He should tell that to my best friend who is supporting her family on $1300 a month after her husband lost his job back in June. Or my sister who finally got on as a cashier at Wal-Mart about two weeks ago after losing her job in April. Or the many businesses that have gone under, taking thousands of jobs with them. He may be doing well over at the Governor's mansion, but the rest of the state is a mess.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:58 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Wasn't it you sweet, that posted about how ALL economists say the recession is over??
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

That we are coming out of it, but it is "fragile"

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I don't see what the problem is? The recession has been declared over. For God's sake, the man can't win!

Texas the state is much better off than other states. They pay no income tax, their budget is balanced and they put money in the bank year after year. Of course the recession has hurt the economy there, how could it not? Perhaps if the feds would leave Texas alone and not require pesky things like loaning money for people to buy houses that they can't afford, the state would be even better off.

I am a native Texan and I can hardly wait until we retire. I am going home!
    yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 8:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Oklahoma was declared recession proof when it first started. So I don't think that is going to make a difference that he feels his state is not being effected that much. I am sure people who are in Texas that are having tough times will put him to the fire, but not the majority.

http://newsok.com/oklahoma-city-named-as-recession-proof/article/3237967
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2009