Do you have to name your baby before you can leave the hospital??

I have heard yes and no to the question, With my last baby the woman in charge of the birth records was very rude to my husbad and I becuase we didnt have a name picked out and she was going on vacation. Im having another baby in Jan. and we have NO idea what to name her, I know we have a few month to go but I am annoyed by every name I hear!! I know I it is different in every state( we are inOhio) Anyone have any ideas?? I told my husband if we cant think of a name we will put on the BC TBA!!

youlookin4me

Asked by youlookin4me at 7:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Well, I did not name my kids until a week or so postpartum with each, and had been at home.
    I wanted to see their genders and then get to know them a little before going down that path.
    One thing at a time!!
    ;-)
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• interesting question. like you said, it varies by state. in indiana, where our son was born, i think we had just 2 days...? but i can't really remember. i do remember that they came in to get his name, and we weren't ready. so they called at like 7 am and i was so afraid that i had spelled it completely wrong because i was 65% asleep. lol

you could always just name here judy (or emily or sally) and then change it in a couple of weeks when you decide ;) good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:56 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• In my state they dont call the baby by "name" they call it Baby Boy/Girl ________ last name-
    I filled out his birth certificate ppr at home, and sent it in a few days later-thats when he was "named" and even than you have 365 days 1 year to change it anytime for any reason at no cost to you-
    I live in Wisconsin.
    JnCV

Answer by JnCV at 8:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Here in my state you have a year to name your baby. I don't know if that is what is done in every state though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• "In my state they don't call the baby by "name" they call it Baby Boy/Girl ________ last name-
    I filled out his birth certificate ppr at home, and sent it in a few days later-that's when he was "named" and even than you have 365 days 1 year to change it anytime for any reason at no cost to you-
    I live in Wisconsin. "

That is the same here in Ohio (for sure in cuyahoga county at the very least). I know because I wasn't 100% sure at the time if I wanted our son to have my last name or his fathers and they told me this.
    MythicMMM

Answer by MythicMMM at 8:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• You might be surprised what happens when she comes. You may take one look at her, and go, "She looks like a (insert name here)!"
    Most states don't require it, and I'm not sure how long you can go without a name. You might even ask the clerk at the hospital (who handles that stuff) what the laws are in your area.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:40 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Yes we had a name picked out before my daughter was born. I picked out my sons name after he was born but beofre we left the hospital. My state did require a name before we went home.
    MommyTurtle1985

Answer by MommyTurtle1985 at 9:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2009