How can I help My 18 day old son-He is VERY constapated- Kero syurp hasnt helped either

Any Ideas?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• have u tried prune juice? or Indian food? something spicy? or a lot of exotic fruits could do it too.
    lesjoiesdemaman

Answer by lesjoiesdemaman at 8:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Banana's, apple sauce, prunes
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• he is only 18 DAYYS old- I cant feed him that stuff.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I know my son was young when he was perscribed something called Enulose, but i dont remember how young he was. He may have been 2mo. 18days is kind of young so i would ask your pediatritian about that.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• with my daughter we did a suppository and would rub her belly and pump her legs.. it worked
    ashleyuc07

Answer by ashleyuc07 at 8:14 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• He's 18 days old...nothing but breastmilk or formuyla, period.

If you're breastfeeding. know that not pooping is NOT constipation. Constipation is the passage of hard dry pellets. If he's not straining to pass poop, then it's not constipation.

If formula fed and he's straining, change his formula.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• As Gdiamante said nothing besides formula or breastmilk. Also DO NOT FEED BABY KARO!!! Karo has the possibility of carrying botulism which is deadly in infants.  There is no need to take such chances.  Another thing to remember is baby's body is learning how to expel waste and the more 'helpers' the caregiver uses the harder it is for baby to learn leading to problems.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My son was badly constipated when he was a newborn as well. He was breast and formula fed. We noticed a difference when we switched to the lower iron formula.
    We'd cycle his legs and gently massage his tummy. Gripe water seemed to help once in a while too.

Try changing what you eat. Cut out dairy, maybe your baby has an allergy? There are soy formula options as well.
    Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 8:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Karo syrup can be deadly in infants

Also it is normal for all babies not to poop every day (not just BF babies) My twins are FF and they poop every other day. My DS was constipated for a bit but we just added extra to his diet and a lil prune juice (per DRs orders) He went almost a week without going and when he did he struggled and his poop was very hard

Since your son is so young I would call the pedi office and talk to a nurse.
    katelynsmom22

Answer by katelynsmom22 at 8:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• give him some apple juice.
    smb87

Answer by smb87 at 9:30 PM on Sep. 19, 2009