Is being vegan a relatively new thing?

I am in the middle of making cinnamon rolls using a vegan recipe and was wondering if veganism (is that actually a word?) is newish? Some of the ingrediants are very different and I can't imagine that they have been around for very long (egg substitute, special vegan margarine, and 'Tofutti Better Than Cream Cheese' to name a few). What did vegans do before egg substitute and margarine were invented? Or did veganism come after they were invented?

YzmaRocks

Asked by YzmaRocks at 8:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I agree with the PP. I think someone identified an unexploited market share and exploited it. I can't imagine that processed vegan substitutes are really in the spirit of being vegan.
    Liansmommie

Answer by Liansmommie at 8:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• 1944 is the year the term was coined. My guess is that it has in recent years become much more mainstream, giving manufacturers the market interest to introduce a larger variety of vegan convenience foods.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veganism#History
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 8:17 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• yeah, I think its become more of a popular fad nowadays, but the idea has been around for a long time.
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 8:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Its been around a while. It's just easier now.
    Ugh off topic but this girl I know is one of those feminazis and she is prochoice but vegan. Does this make sense?? Lol you can't eat animals but you can abort fetuses? What does she think an egg is?
    BambiF

Answer by BambiF at 8:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Not everyone is vegan because they are PETA freaks : ) Though, I can see where you are coming from.
    kikikiki

Answer by kikikiki at 1:02 AM on Sep. 20, 2009