No more cursive writing?

The decline of cursive is happening as students are doing more and more work on computers, including writing. In 2011, the writing test of the National Assessment of Educational Progress will require 8th and 11th graders to compose on computers, with 4th graders following in 2019.

"We need to make sure they'll be ready for what's going to happen in 2020 or 2030," said Katie Van Sluys, a professor at DePaul University and the president of the Whole Language Umbrella, a conference of the National Council of Teachers of English.

Handwriting is increasingly something people do only when they need to make a note to themselves rather than communicate with others, she said. Students accustomed to using computers to write at home have a hard time seeing the relevance of hours of practicing cursive handwriting.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090919/ap_on_re_us/us_cursive_angst

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• Okay.
    writeon

Answer by writeon at 8:20 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Its totally stupid to not teach it. Its been discussed for quite a while.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• As a teacher who taught exceptional education for 10 of my 19 years, I always looked at the difficulty with cursive like this - if the government will accept the mark of "X" as a legally binding signature, why was I busting my butt to teach kids cursive? As long a my kids can write a communication that makes sense and relays the information they intended, I could care less if it is in cursive. I still try to teach it because they have to be able to read it. That is my main reason for teaching cursive.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:25 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

LOL..somewhere my MOM-MOM is rolling in her grave! She made me sit for HOURS and practice penmanship! lol

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 8:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• For some of us cursive, is a lost art. Like spelling. I still use cursive writing daily. And not for to do list either..
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 8:32 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I always thought it was one of those things we "had" to do. You started learning to write in cursive in the 2nd grade and it continued into the 3rd. The 4th and 5th grades demanded you only wrote in cursive. Now, they don't even teach spelling much less cursive. You learn both as you are doing other lessons. It is almost accidental learning. I didn't force my EC kids because they had bigger issues than cursive. I had to decide what was I really teaching - handwritting or writting. There will be a time when it is the lost art kind of like handwritting a thank you note.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Now, they don't even teach spelling

I know, NY state doesnt mandate spelling past 4th grade. I had spelling test until I was a senior in high school.
    PestPatti

Answer by PestPatti at 8:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I have mixed emotions on this one. My mom always had beautiful handwriting, and emphasized the importance of it. I think cursive it lovely and wonderful, but my handwriting looks like sh-t. The more time I spend working on computers, the worse it gets.

I've introduced cursive to my kids, but don't push it. My son finds handwriting painful, but you put him in front of a computer and he can write long, lovely stories. What's more important, the fact that he writes or the method he uses? *shrug*

The middle school in a nearby town has switched completely to laptops for all it's students. No books, everything is done on the laptop. I'm not sure how much longer it will be before cursive disappears completely.
    mancosmomma

Answer by mancosmomma at 9:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• The handwriting and spelling go hand in hand. There is no spell check on a piece of paper. And that will be a problem in 2020 or 2030 - even if your kid can't write in cursive, people will still think he's a friggin moron if he can't spell to save his life.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I to am one of those people who cannot write in cursive so that others can read it. I can print very well and most of the time use print instead of cursive. Most hospitals that I have worked in prefer people to print in charts instead of write in cursive. I guess I feel cursive is more of an art form than a must have, kind of like calligraphy.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:14 PM on Sep. 19, 2009