How to get a new eater to eat meat?

I have a one year old who is still a new to the food thing. He refuses to eat meat. He will eat vegetables, bread, potatoes and anything else I give him as long as its not meat. If I give him a sandwich he eats everything but the meat. I'm lost and dont know how to get him to eat meat. My other 3 didn't go through pickiness at all.

mysunshineispin

Asked by mysunshineispin at 8:30 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You might try the gerber lil weenies that for a while was the only meat my daughter would eat.
    Tams_jade

Answer by Tams_jade at 8:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• just keep offering different kinds and different textures. it's pretty normal for toddlers to be super picky and my son hardly ate any meat until about 18 mos. actually he won't eat much of it now and he's 2. i think he has actually eaten beef like 5 times in his whole life. we just keep offering it like we would if he did eat it and hope that one of these days he will like it. we try to give eggs a few times per week for protein. but he has had loooong phases where he won't eat those either! we try beans too but those aren't popular either...he does love hummus, but come to find out, there isn't much protein in it. boo good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• pp here, my son does at least like chicken, lunch meat, turkey dogs, and sometimes pork now that he's 2.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• just keep trying. Make sure its in little pieces that he can eat easily, lots of chewing may be making him reluctant. Some kids need foods introduced as many as 30 times before they will try it or decide to eat it. Just keep trying!
    kristal2146

Answer by kristal2146 at 8:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• With ours it was a texture thing. Banquet salisbury steak, cut really small, was soft enouch for him to chew. Also, you could smash it and mix it in the mashed potatoes. He didn't care for the gerber weenies. Also, yours is just beginning to try new flavors. Some foods have much stronger flavors than others. The Gerber graduates meals are good for exploring flavors. Ours didn't do a lot of meat until about 15-18 months. Also, the meatballs in Chef Boyardee spaghetti and meatballs, he would eat. Give it some time mama, he'll get it. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 9:51 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• i cut meat up in little pieces and hide it in other foods. my son doesnt even realize he's eating chicken.
    proudmomma777

Answer by proudmomma777 at 1:30 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I wouldnt stress about it, but if you really are worried I would just keep trying it.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 8:56 PM on Sep. 20, 2009