weird question...

I have to go to the hospital for a few minor things. Surgery is always a big deal but this is minor. I am going to schedule for the start of the week. Hopefully I am only in for a week. Actually it shouldn't be more than 3 days but you never know. If I am not released by Sunday will the doctors let me leave for an hour or so for church? It is literally 5 minutes away.

Kattykitten

Asked by Kattykitten at 8:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Most hospitals have a Chapel on the grounds somewhere
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:39 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• No they won't discharge you until you have recovered sufficiently. You can have your preacher stop by for a visit if you like, but they won't let you leave. I'd like to think the lord would understand you just had surgery. It's ok to miss ONE sunday. You need to heal.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I want to go to Mass and it is not offered. I already asked.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 8:42 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• We'll just hope your surgery is quick with no complications and that you won't have to worry about missing church at all. :)
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Well, while I recommend you follow doctor's orders, they really can't keep you there if you don't want to be there! You can always request an early discharge if you are feeling well. They can't hold you!! :-) I hope everything goes well for you.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 8:47 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I doubt it - unless they have reason to believe not allowing you to leave will deprive you of a last experience or something. But you can ask; it never hurts to ask.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 8:47 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Talk to your parish priest and see if he can come over at some point on Sunday or even Saturday night. And/or talk to your doctor about being released earlier if you are doing well. You can watch or listen to a Mass for shut-ins and then the priest can bring communion to you. I had a priest do that when I was in the hospital. Hopefully things will go well and you will be released well before the weekend.

anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:41 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Hospitals do offer communion, there is a champlain. You can watch EWTN...it's the same thing. They have it on hospital Tv.
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:46 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Nope, but they usually have visiting chaplines.

Do you all know that this poster is Catholic? Why the assuption that she wants a priest and to take communion? There are many Protestant Christians who hate to miss church, not mass.
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 1:14 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Hi teamquin, I have posted before that I Catholic. I also said(third response) I want to go to Mass. The Catholic comments didn't come until after I said that.

You are correct, there are protestants that do not like going a week without church. My husband's family is protestant. They go to church just as much, if not more, than we do. My husband told me they use to go Sunday morning bible school, Sunday afternoon for service, Sunday night for more service, Royal rangers once a week and Wed. night service.

When he first converted, we went to an extra Mass during the week. Once a week just wasn't right in his mind.
    Kattykitten

Answer by Kattykitten at 1:37 AM on Sep. 20, 2009