Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Before going to the doctor how can I determine whether or not my 6yr old son might have ADHD??

What kind of behavior should I look for?

Answer Question

Asked by VickyJae at 8:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

Level 1 (0 Credits)
Answers (10)
  • If you are suspecting ADHD then their must be reasons. List out what those are and then do some research. Be sure to look into other possible causes for those behaviors.

    Don't look into the behaviors first and then see if you son displays those behaviors.... you may make yourself looks at things as they really aren't.

    Answer by KATEISME at 8:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

  • Has trouble sitting still, behaving, acts like he just doesn't hear you when you tell him something, bouncy, talks alot and seems to have trouble being quiet... Things like that but you can't determine whether or not it's ADHD or something else.

    Try eliminating certain things from his diet and see if that helps any.

    My 4 year old son is borderline being diagnosed as ADHD but i've been doing the elimination diet and so far I can tell a big difference (and it's only been 2 weeks in). If you're truly concerned though speak with his pediatrician and get a referral for a child psychologist who can watch him in play & then determine. Don't just go with a diagnosis based on you telling symptoms alone. He needs to be watched and "Studied" in order for a correct diagnosis to be made.

    Answer by KalebsMommee at 8:54 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

  • Stop looking for things that might not be there. Let the doctor do his/her job. The doctor will give you some survery's for the teacher and other staff members to fill out. You will have to fill one out too. He or she will talk to you and your child. He or she may even call and talk to the teacher (with your permission, of course).

    Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:09 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

  • Don't just talk to your pediatrician, see if your pediatrician has a referral for you to go to a pediatrician that SPECIALIZES in ADHD.

    In the mean time, this site might help:

    My stepson is ADHD and was showing signs at the age of three...

    Answer by texassahm at 11:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

  • My son just had his 5 yr check up and the Dr said that just by observing my son she feels he is borderline ADHD but won't really know for sure until he starts school. I never really gave it much thought but there is a history of ADD and ADHD in both families.

    Answer by wheresthewayout at 1:31 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

  • My son has been having trouble since he was 4. Not sitting still, talking non-sop, temper tantrums, meltdowns, interrupting, Constantly moving...All of it was kind of written off as age. Now that he is 5 and still having these problems, I am working closely with is teachers and Ped. to find the cause. His Ped says that she truly believes we will be talking ADHD later. She doesn't want to label him until he is closer to 6. Talk to your child teacher. Ask about her feelings on the matter. She has seen a great number of students come through her classroom over the years. Work with her to find out what concerns her vs. what concerns you. If he is not having the same problem at school that he is having at home then you may be looking at something totally different(not ADHD) Then talk to your ped. about the combination of concerns they will be able to sit down with you and go over what if any of your con't

    Answer by But_Mommie at 9:19 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

  • concerns could be related to ADHD. If nothing else the Ped will be able to give you a base line as to where to start with behavior modifications at home and at school. There will most likely be a follow up. If you are not comfortable with your peds diagnosis whether it be yes or no then follow up with a child psychologist. They may be able to offer you some alternatives to medications to try first anyway.

    Answer by But_Mommie at 9:21 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

  • YOU can't determine it. You need to take him to the doctor if you suspect it. A pediatrician should not diagnose it. If yours does, go elsewhere. You need to see a developmental pediatrician or a psychologist, not the regular pediatrician.

    Answer by Anonymous at 9:47 AM on Sep. 20, 2009


    Answer by Anonymous at 2:45 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

  • Thanks anon:47, I was just thinking that a regular pediatrician cannot diagnose ADD or ADHD, it has to be done by a Child Psychologist or Psychiatrist. My dd was diagnosed at age 6, your child's teacher will be the best first resource to help you in deciding if you need to pursue this further.

    Answer by emnasmom at 3:55 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.