Your Baby Can Read

Did any of you use the "Your Baby Can Read" dvd series with your kids? If so, did they work, what age did you start them, and how often did your kid watch them?

MollieDoll

Asked by MollieDoll at 9:20 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i did it myself its really not that hard,2 years 9 months and its because i took time,really its not that difficult to teach letters and sounds to a child
    BUSYLOVINGHIM

Answer by BUSYLOVINGHIM at 9:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• If you do a simple search on this site, you'll see this question hundreds of times and thousands of responses.

Most popular opinion here is that the system is garbage. It does not teach reading, it teaches memorization and kids who learn to "read" by it have more trouble in school than kids who are taught the correct way to read and spell from the very beginning. (phonics)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:39 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I did it with my daughter. She is 2. It worked for us when I was consistent with it. It teaches the words on the dvd and then it has word cards to practice with. The problem is that I am not consistent with it anymore so she has forgotten some of them. Children need consistency to learn and remember things.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 10:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• all it is teaching them is how to memorize. what does a 2 year old need to read for anyway? are they signing contracts? checks? what?
    trepsica

Answer by trepsica at 11:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I'm and educator (from 0-2yo, 2nd gr and 5th gr). I teach my son to read but not to read the words, but to understand the reading (cognitive development). Every day we read one book during the day (varies) and one at night (Good Night Moon). I read by pointing the pictures that I'm reading about in the book and then ask him where that is. Ex. Good night red balloon. (I point to it) Then I'll ask, "where's the red balloon?" He'll point to it. That's good cognitive development. When he's older, he'll use the pictures to help him understand the story.

I also create books from pictures of our visit to the zoo, park, etc. This is to also help with vocabulary and cognitive development. However it's to build his background knowledge.

In other words, you're child doesn't need to know how to read the words in order to TRULY read.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:47 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My mil bought this for my dd when she was 3 months and said we were suppose to start it with her at 4 months After I finished laughing at her, I put it in the closet. Now that my ddis 15 months old Ive taken it back out. I dont care if she learns to read at this age, but she LOVES to watch the kids and the songs. Sometimes when the words come up shell say them before the people in the video do. She also loves the flash cards. If you get this as a gift i would use it. I personally would never of spent the $ on it.
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 20, 2009