2 months, almost 3 months and showing signs of teething. Help!

This is my first child and so I'm a little new at this. However, I have heard that most babies don't teeth until 5 months or later. My baby boy is drooling more, eating his hands, trying to eat his blanket... he is also having explosive poops. Spilling out of his diaper even though he's in the stage 2 and just at the beginning of stage 2 diapers to boot. Is it a little odd for a baby this little to begin teething and what should I do?

Momrini

Asked by Momrini at 9:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• there is in fact some babies that are born with teeth,my DD started teething when she was 6 weeks,i bought her the orajel, but that only works for a while,now she is 4 months and has 2 teeth,have you tried rubbing your baby's gums with a clean finger? when my baby is just desperately in pain, she loves to chew on my finger,of course i let her until i wash my hands, i know its a little frustrating to hear the baby crying because of it, DD has been fussy lately too, hang on momma i know what it is like and it is normal :)
    maryfer

Answer by maryfer at 9:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• It's not "odd" but it's also probably not teething.

Most babies start drooling at this age. Their saliva glands have just started working. They don't know how to swallow yet, so what doesn't drip out of their mouths drains down their throats and then runs through their system and has to go out somewhere.

It's also the same time they start discovering their hands. While they don't really know what they are yet....they sure taste good! And, hey....those things at the ends of their arms go into the mouth well....why not something else they can lift and manipulate?!

Keep an eye on his poopy diapers. You want to make sure he's not coming down with a stomach bug. But more than likely, it's nothing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• They all typically start by drooling, chewing on their hands, etc. The explosive poops are from the exccess drool usually (the only thing I found to help with this was cloth diapers. No more poopy blow outs out the back woohoo! lol) Though most babies don't get teeth until around 6 mos, they all start showing symptoms at 3-4 mos.

Chilled raw ends of butternut squash were the only things my DD liked to teeth on. I swear by them now lol
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My dd is almost 4 months and about 2 weeks ago I was SURE she was teething...drooling a ton, hands in mouth constantly, fussy more than usual, etc.... here I am 2 weeks later and I don't think it's teething anymore. I think babies just like to put their hands and other things in their mouth when they figure out that they can...I mean, your LO definitely COULD be teething, but it may just be normal baby behavior...either way good luck!
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 9:39 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My first started teething at around 3 months, cut his first tooth at six months.
    I myself cut my first tooth at 4 months.
    My friend's husband cut his first tooth when he was only a couple of weeks old.

All babies do different things at different times. Keep in mind that they can be "teething" for a long time before you see any actual teeth. The little teeth go up and down and up and down and eventually break through the gums.
    Poor little babes.

I've heard wonderful things about the teething tablets you can get at a pharmacy.
    We just used baby anbisol and tylenol. Also sticking a cloth in the freezer then letting him chew on it.

Laila-May

Answer by Laila-May at 11:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• my son has been drooling like crazy since around 2 months old..hes 5.5 months old now and still no teeth. he chews on his hands constantly, and people are always saying, oh yes hes getting some teeth! but still none. so really its a big guessing game. The time that my son started doing these things was the same time theysay babie find their hands and start to drool regardless if their teeth are coming tomorrow or in 6 months. My doctor did say not to medicate at all unless baby is fussy AND showing signs of teething. Then try orajel to start.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 12:02 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• my son started drooling a lot at 3-4 months but his tooth didnt show till almost 7months it takes a while
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 12:10 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My son started cutting teeth around 3 months old and had his first tooth popping through around 4 months so it's possible.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:37 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My son got his first two bottom teeth at 4 months! It happens.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• thank you everyone for your insight. :)
    Momrini

Answer by Momrini at 6:11 PM on Sep. 20, 2009