Has any other mom thought about doing something from home to make money? My husband thinks I should find a way to market my home made baked good as I happen to be an avid baker and very good at it. Im just afraid it may be too time consuming as I have an 11 day old son, and a very soon to be 9 year old son. But this could be a good way to make extra money since I quit my job to raise my baby. I have always been a stay at home mom but went back to work last sept and was pregnant by dec!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:29 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• What are you baking? I think it's a great idea. If you can juggle your new baby and baking then go for it.
    raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 9:32 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I recently started selling my cakes. I'm in the process of getting my business licence and everything! My youngest is 10 days old, and i have an almost-3 year old too. It will definitely be interesting to see how i can juggle my time! I love baking and decorating though, and the beauty of doing it from home is i can take as many or as few orders as i feel like! I say go for it!
    MommaTurbo

Answer by MommaTurbo at 9:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• A friend of mine sells her baked goods on Etsy. I'm not sure about what all it includes, or how it works, but it seems to do well for her.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:54 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• http://www.scentsy.com/My2Scents
    This is what I do from home. My hubby actually loves getting involved with it too. Let me know if I can help with any questions. It's not selling baked goods, but it's good money, and it's what helps make ends meet for my household.
    NicoR

Answer by NicoR at 11:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• If you think you can handle it then go for it! I actually just saw something on the news about a single mom making cookies to make ends meet. She somehow got on Oprah's O Magazine recently and is making quite a bit of money now. Who knows this could be you. Best Wishes and Congrats on you new arrival!!!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 1:38 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I think it's a great idea. I would just check your state laws. I know where I'm at, you can't make food to sell unless your kitchen is licensed. Good luck!
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 4:29 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• you should read Paula Deens story (you can google it) its inspirational. So many successful bakers/cooks started at home. You dont have to be a chef...to be brilliant at what you do. I say give it a shot, If your love doing it, then you will find a way to make it work. You know what your goals are. You know what your objective is (your children) now put it together. It may be tough at times, but see those times as learning times... to change course.
    Good luck...I cheering for you!
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 9:28 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I am seriously considering it myself!

To do any kind of advertising and sale of food you really need a licensed kitchen...BUT you can check with churches or organizations that serve food, maybe even a restaurant that is closed one day a week. See if they'd let you rent their kitchen. You may also be required to put nutritional information and ingredient list on any food you package to sell.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:58 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My mother did something very similar for holidays and weddings. There were some years she would have orders for 2 or 3 hundred dozen cookies... I don't remember those days very fondly, but it paid the bills. Today I think you could definitly sell them online or locally... I would suggest you set up a website with different kinds of baked goods that you are willing to do and what they cost... Simply take orders from there. HOWEVER - You need to check with the local government! In most cases you will need to have a license to sell any type of food. This of course is for satety reasons and in case someone gets sick so that they have more trouble blaming you! If you have pets this can be a tricky thing, because that can stop you from getting the proper paperwork and in some states you are required to have a second kitchen only for your sales... But its worth looking in to. Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:02 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Go for it!
    IraqiVetWife

Answer by IraqiVetWife at 12:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2009