Organic Milk?

Okay I have a "supermom" family member that is so crazy about every detail of her children's lives... She apparently convinced my husband today that our daughter must drink organic milk because if not she will start her period at 10... Haven't we ALWAYS been drinking regular cows milk, and just recently they have been starting periods early?

LovinMyMikayla

Asked by LovinMyMikayla at 9:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in General Parenting

• I don't know about the period part.....but I have been doing organic milk strictly for quite some time. It is true that today we have more hormones passed on in our milk than when we are growing up. And more antibiotics. Because of the feed, hormones, and other additives they give dairy cows they get more infections than the cows of our past. So we also get a lot more puss in our milk as well as hormones. Puss from infection is icky. Also when calves are born b/c of the bovine growth hormone given to most dairy cows the calves will die if they drink milk from their mother in the first few weeks of birth. If calves cannot even drink their mothers' milk, why would you give it to your child? There are a ton a reasons why I do organic dairy. Those are just three: Bovine Growth hormone (which is also passed to your children through the milk), puss from infections, and anti-biotics being passed to us as well.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:47 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Not exactly. The amount of hormones that are in our dairy, beef and poultry now days is astronomically higher than 20, 30 and 40 yrs ago. In 1975 the average age of onset was 5 years later than it was in 2001. When I was a tween 9 and 10 year olds NEVER began having their period. A rare few began breast growth but not nearly at the level it is today.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 9:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Well over time girls have been getting their periods younger and younger. Some think the hormones in foods have contributed to this and its not just milk its pretty much all meat as well.
    Crystal8327

Answer by Crystal8327 at 10:19 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• This "supermom" family member is actually fairly correct... As others have said, there are more hormones and "additives" pumped into cows these days then there has ever been. It's not just milk either.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 10:22 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• You get your period based on genetics. My mom got hers at 10 (she was born 1955) and so did I (1981)... My sisters were born in 1983 and they got theirs, well, one at 12 the other at 14. I agree that there ARE more hormones in cows milk, but I'm not sure if that is actually contributing to the development of children, other than making them big boned, and a bit overweight.
    Let's face it, I am no scientist, I'm just an everyday person addicted to milk AND Cafemom.
    For the record, I cannot afford to buy Organic, even though I know it does taste better, but milk is milk to me, and without it, I'd have alot of heartburn!
    mumma28

Answer by mumma28 at 12:16 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• There is nothing wrong with regular milk. I wouldn't switch to organic.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 12:17 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My kids only drink organic b/c of the high levels of hormones in the cows. It's $6 a gallon, but worth it to me.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:00 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I'd actually look more at the meat your eat and eggs. My midwife was actually less concerned about smoking than about eggs. You can get hormone free milk that is not organic too. Try for as natural as possible.
    It is true that onset of menestration is gentic BUT.... there are MANY more girls starting at younger and younger ages.
    I suspect rise in obesity and cancer are also related. We have drank milk and eaten meat for the majority of our times BUT in the past there were not all these additives. If you give an animal a hormone to make them fatter and give more milk or lay more eggs etc. and then you consume the meat...... follow that to its natural conclusion
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 1:26 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• The hormones in milk (and meats) are relatively recent. If you child is older than two, then milk is nutritionally un-necessary

Answer by rkoloms at 1:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2009