When your child was younger (3-4 months) did they ever vomit? (not spitting up, really vomiting) - PIOG

I'm posting this here because you moms have more experience than I do! My dd is almost 4 months and she spits up maybe twice a day but yesterday she really vomited for the first time - twice. It scared me so much I took her to the ER. I didn't think babies that young would vomit. She's breastfed. The vomit looked basically like spit up, just a lot more of it. They took an x-ray and tested her poop and it was all normal. They said it was probably just a virus and to keep an eye on her...did your babies ever vomit like that? I guess I'm just looking for some support...I'm usually pretty easy-going about stuff with her but that really freaked me out. thanks.

stepmom929

Asked by stepmom929 at 9:43 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Two of my kids vomited. I think they had the flu, or a virus. Don't worry unless your little one quits eating! Breastfeeding is the best thing you can do to help them get over this. All my kids breastfed through the flu or whatever sickness they had. It will pass!
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 9:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• It would freak you out. My son was born with an ulcer at the bottom of his esophagus - it prevented the flap from opening and letting his milk in. He vomited violently - projectile vomiting - BUT he did it ALL the time. If it was just twice in a day, then I would agree it's probably just a virus and when it's run its course, she'll be fine. Just watch her, don't let her sleep on her back and keep a check on her temp. If the vomiting persists or gets worse, if she gets a fever take her back to the ER. She's 4 months you can take a chip off of a piece of peppermint candy (not even a 1/4 - just a chip - but bigger than a flake) and dissolve it in 2 ounces of warm water - that should help settle her tummy a little bit. Good luck and don't fret - she'll be fine.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:49 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Yes, my DS vomited twice when he was around that age. It was due to him having a bellyache from over consumption of foremilk. When a baby's tummy hurts they think that eating more is the cure and it sometimes makes it worse. I changed how I was BFing him and he hasn't thrown up since and he turned a year old today.
    WindyTheWidow

Answer by WindyTheWidow at 10:11 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Ours vomited at 9 months, and per the dr, he had a stomach virus. I don't know the difference in BF and FF on this part, but the dr had us STOP the formula and food, and only give him pedialyte and other clear liquids (water) until he could keep something down. We weren't supposed to go back to formula until he hadn't vomited in 24 hrs. It could be different for breast-feeding, but this is what we were told. Might CALL your dr to verify, since you've already been to the ER, and didn't get a lot of instruction from them.
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 11:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My son would projectile vomit every time he ate but he had severe acid reflux. So I got used to it fairly quickly, the first few times freaked me out though.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:32 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• When he was 7 months he got a nasty stomach virus. The first sign was vomiting and then he got really horrible diarrhea. Luckily he never got a fever but the vomiting and diarrhea lasted for 11 days!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:56 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I thought my dd was throwing up at that age but it turns out that it was SEVERE acid reflux.
    emilysmom401

Answer by emilysmom401 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 20, 2009