What did therapy do for you?

I know I have problems. I've been to five different therapists/anger management and they all say my only problem is depression. Which may be the case, but it's going to take more than a pill and an hour a week to get over it. I dont' lie to the therapists, I answer they're questions and tell the truth. I guess I just don't come across crazy and they think I'm handling everything that's happened to me, but I'm not. Im very skeptical about this. I know I have to find the right one, but the only person I've seen that I've liked said the same thing as the others. I haven't been to therapy since I was pregnant-two years ago. I'm ready for help, but not sure this is going to work.

SaraP1989

Asked by SaraP1989 at 9:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You stick with the one that you like. I went through a barrel full of counselors before I found the one right one. I saw him 3x a week at first. He did 100xs more than all the other doctors together. When you find the one that can help you get to the foundation of that demon that's eating at you - stick with that one - even if you don't like what they say - tell them you don't (because that too is part of the process).
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 9:52 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• The one I liked left the practice she was at and I don't live in that town anymore.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 9:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I have a psychologist and a therapist for my depression and anxiety. I really was in a dark place after my daughter was born nine months ago. I was suicidal and I didn't care about my baby. I wanted to be rid of her and my husband (then fiance) and everyone else in my life. I stayed in the hospital for a week after checking myself in for suicidal thoughts.

I take the outlook that therapy shouldn't "fix" you, it should teach you more about your diagnosis and teach you how to use coping skills to deal with it. My problem is a negative self image and negative self talk. I look in the mirror and go "Ugh, you're so fat." instead of seeing the positive things about me. I only go to the therapist once a month, but it's nice to unload all of my issues on her, she's a neutral third party. She's made me face some things that I don't think I could have faced otherwise.

I won't lie, it's taken me forever to get to this point. (cont)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 9:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I've been depressed on and off since I was about 16 (I'm now 21), but it was the worst right after I had my daughter. I'm taking two antidepressants right now, and I'm trying to use the coping skills my therapist taught me. I have to be more aware of myself, because if I let my thoughts wander for too long, I'll go back into that dark place and I'll start feeling sorry for myself. I think exercise has helped a little bit too. I get that little endorphin rush after about 15 minutes of walking, and it makes me feel better to know that I'm doing something good for my body instead of sitting on the couch sulking. I think being 100% honest with your therapist is a big deal too. They can't help you efficiently unless you tell them every single detail no matter how painful or stupid it may be. I guarantee they've heard it before. If you take an active part in your treatment, things will go way better for you =)
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 10:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Honestly I am more happier now then when I was going to a therapist. I use my coworkers to talk about my problems and they are always there for me. It is also free and I see them 5 days a week.
    alaskansglmom

Answer by alaskansglmom at 10:02 PM on Sep. 19, 2009