How can I stop my 5 year old from weting the bed?

I have tried everything ffrom gifts to time outs. she would stop one week then the next she would start again. Now she also pees on her floor of her room. Please help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:56 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am not at this stage yet, but will be soon! :-) I plan on making my kids strip the bed and put the sheets in the laundry (with help from me). If they pee on the floor they will have to clean up the floor too. This has helped IMMENSELY with potty training. My son hates having to clean himself up and we rarely have accidents now.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• NO MORE FLUIDS except sips of water after dinner (around 5 or 5:30 pm here usually). NO juice, no milk, no anything but water after dinner. This helped a lot here.
    SterlingLegend

Answer by SterlingLegend at 10:07 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Why would you give a bedwetter a time-out? He's not doing it on purpose, and he's not doing it to be naughty.

Dehydrating them so you don't have to inconvenienced by washing wet sheets isn't the greatest idea either.

Just give him time. He'll get the hang out it soon enough, without all the pressure you're putting on him.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• no fluids after dinner (like sterling said)
    but if its also an ongoing issue, i'd have her checked by the doc, it may be a bladder problem. my friend was disciplining her 6 yr old for repeatedly peeing in the bed at night, than in passing said something in front of the doc about him peeing in bed (it wasn't even directed at the doc, was on the phone to her husband said ya he had an accident again last night...and the doc overheard) the doc than checked him further and they discovered he has muscular dystrophy. not saying that your dd has it, just saying there are other reasons kids pee the bed aside from laziness or just sleeping through it (but even if shes sleeping through it at this point she shouldn't be so it may be something more)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 10:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Have patience and keep encouraging her when she wakes up dry. Limit drinks after supper. Get her up to go pee before you go to bed this will not interupt her sleep. Her bladder is small and is still growing. She has had a busy day and plays hard therefore she is in a deep sleep and does not recognize that her bladder needs to be emptied. I am sure she will outgrow this. Hang in there. Better days ahead, and remember they do grow up fast and this will pass.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:21 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• The plain and simple fact is there is no single answer to this problem. As far as peeing on the floor this could be a behavioral or a medical issue.
    The unfortunate truth is that Bedwetting is a trial and error situation and you just have to try things until you find something that works OR you are just going to have to wait it out.
    educate yourself by checking out some books from the library or talking to your childs doctor.
    Oh and in any case punishment usually doesnt help anything.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 10:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Bed wetting is not a fluid issue or a bladder issue it is a sleep issue. Here is a link is explains it all

http://www.stopwetting.com/ 

luvmygrlz

Answer by luvmygrlz at 11:00 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• time out?! WELL thats not the answer! In fact punishing will make things worse. Some kids do still wet the bed past age 5. Well my son use to wet the bed and basically what we did was cut fluids off which helped most nights but he still had occasional accidents. Bed wetting is a different issue foe ALL kids while the post above may be right it could very well be fluids or his bladder. Some kids there is actually something wrong with their kidneys and causes them to wet the bed so it can vary. My son wet the bed alot at age 4 and at 5 it started being less and less and now at 6 he barely has accidents and it is usually a night when he had too much to drink.

Peeing on the floor sounds behavioral maybe from those time out...no I don't really know....Is she peeing on purpose or is it that she wakes and is half asleep. My son if he wakes I have to rush him to the bathroom or he will wet himself. Talk to doc:)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:08 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Not giving a child fluid 2 hours before bed isn't going to dehydrate them as another ignorant poster said..

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:13 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

If the child is thirsty, and you deny him a drink because you don't want him to pee, that is what is wrong...and YOU'RE the ignorant one. Grow up fricktard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:20 AM on Sep. 20, 2009