How Can I keep my 8 month baby awake while nursing?

My baby falls asleep at the breast after just a few minutes of nursing. I think she is not getting enough milk because she is having only 1 or 2 wet diapers in 24 hours. I am very worry. pls help me with any advise. The Doctor say she is happy and no hungry is okay. But I still very worry. other thing, she doesn't take bottle, sippy cups. Only breast milk and little solid food 2 time per day.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:01 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• nurse her in a loud environment... TV going loud or loud music. Bright lights on. Try talking when she tries to fall asleep. Or moving her limbs.
    serioussifL

Answer by serioussifL at 10:03 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Remove your baby's clothes before breastfeeding. This will keep her cool and it's harder to sleep when she's not warm and cozy.

Step 2Change your baby's diaper before breastfeeding, a technique that wakes baby up very well. If he still falls asleep, change his diaper again before switching breasts.

Step 3Stroke your baby's cheek and lips with your nipple. This stimulates her rooting (searching for the nipple) reflex.

Step 4Pretend to pull your nipple out of your baby's mouth, or stick your finger between your nipple and the baby's mouth to break the latch. The constant sucking is what tends to put baby to sleep, so taking away the nipple will cause him to start sucking hard again to keep it in place.
    JoyandLove

Answer by JoyandLove at 10:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• By 8 months babies are very busy. It sounds like she is forgetting to nurse until she is super tired. Doesn't she eat when she's sleeping, or does she fall off? Since she's nursing only when she's ready to fall asleep, there is not much sense in trying to keep her up, you'll just end up with a cranky baby that is not nursing enough. Try to offer her the boob more often, don't wait for her to come to you. My 11 mo will graze all day, but if it's been a while, I'll just show her my boobs & she'll come have a snack. If you lay down on the floor with your boobs out while she's playing, you'd probably be surprised at how often she nurses.  Now, she's at that age, it may only be for a few minutes at a time.  Remember, she's getting around & exploring.  She's busy.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 10:27 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Carlye you sound like your a dog waiting for attention. " Just lay on the floor with your boobs out while she's playing let her come and have a sneak." Well i guess everyone BF differently and I sure the hell never laid on the floor while my child was playing and let her sneak I am her mother not a cow.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• take her clothes off before feeding. And try tickling her to wake her back up.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 10:36 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I do like momoflilangel's idea of tickling her - you don't have to take off her clothes to do that (wintertime is coming and that might make her cold) - but tickling her toes, or talking to her in a louder voice than you normally do during nursing.

My DD's both were breast only babies, too - I used to firmly tap on my breast just above where they were suckling to activate their natural sucking abilities. I would also bounce them around and make silly faces - basically interact in a way that would keep their attention. Although sometimes you just can't help it if they are tired.

One thing I do wonder is if she is just going to sleep maybe she isn't really hungry - and really is just using you as sort of a pacifier...it happened to me at one point. I just got in the habit of unlatching them when they fell asleep. They figured it out - and never had a pacifier.
    texassahm

Answer by texassahm at 11:19 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Anon 1034 you sound like a bitch wanting her children to conform to her convenience. But I don’t know you so I don’t judge. I am a mom to 3 & currently nursing an 11 mo. The last thing I need is attention. I lay on the floor while my daughter is playing all the time & play with her. If my boob is not already out, it’s a matter of minutes before she takes it out. That’s how we do it. And, SURPRISE!!!! People parent with different styles. I’m sure the OP would have better appreciated some advice concerning the way you did it than your rude anonymous comment about my reply.

By the way, it’s snack, not sneak.

carlye828

Answer by carlye828 at 11:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2009