Cultural question for Hispanics. Why do you travel together?

I'm being serious. I go to a store (grocery, WalMart, Kohls) doesn't seem to matter - and almost every Hispanic family seems to have brought the whole family. I'm talking up to 4 adults and anywhere from 3-5 (or more) kids. I've always wondered if this is just specific to the area I live in or is it this way everywhere - and why does 9 people go to the store to buy groceries?

PaceMyself

Asked by PaceMyself at 10:18 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Just for Fun

• To the OP, I used to live in the city you live in and I know what you mean. It does seem that way but perhaps, like us when we lived there, they live out in the county and not in town. I know that a large majority of the Hispanic people do live farther out. So, that may be why they all go at one time.
    tracylynnr67

Answer by tracylynnr67 at 11:20 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I have noticed the same but just never really thought about it until I just read you post. I don't know why EVERYONE has to go food shopping but I wish they would CONTROL there CHILDREN.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I do think it is a cultural thing...but not JUST with Hispanic families. I live in New Mexico near the reservation and the native american families are the same way. They all live together....parents, grandparents, children, grandchildren....and often times might only have one vehicle to their entire family....makes sense that they would all be there shopping together....especially if, in any case, they live a distance from the place where they have to go shopping and might have other errands to run and need the whole family there for some reason.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:23 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• ON a Saturday? Sunday?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• HA HA!! This is funny!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• that's how it is here in So Cal. But it only seems to be the ones that aren't from here, not the ones that are born here and "americanized". Just the ones that just crossed the border.

I also wonder why they feel that the babies need to be completely covered in blankets on a hot day??
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• PRETTY RACIST ....BUT I DO AGREE I HATE LANGUAGE BARRIER'S (NOT THAT ALL HISPANICS DONT SPEAK ENGLISH BECAUSE MOST DO)...I THINK ITS HILARIOUS HOW SOMEBODY THINKS ALL HISPANICS ACT THIS WAY...I LIVE IN LOUISIANA AND I HAVE ALL MY TEETH AND I WEAR SHOES..IM NOT MARRIED TO MY COUSIN NOR HAVE I HAD SEX WITH ANY OF THEM!...&..JUST BECAUSE YOU LIVE IN ALASKA DOESN'T MEAN YOU LIVE IN AN IGLOO!
    Anonymous

• "to also say that our children are misbehaved is bullshit I've to the stores and the most kids that running wild especially in walmart are white !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I agree and I am white. I just saw a little girl with her daddy screaming that she wanted a balloon, the dad said no and walked away, only to come back because she was screaming and stomping her feet. He then bought her three balloons, while saying..."if you stop crying you can have three balloons." She bore a strong resemblance to Varucca Salt!
    Anonymous

• This is also true where I live. Just last month a family of Hispanics moved in about 5 houses down and I swear there are like 13 people living there. I don't know if it is because it is much cheaper, or if it is a cultural thing. Seems like they all love Chevy trucks...and pack tons of people in them and up here they are all big University of Michigan football fans. I have always wondered the same. I have a Native American friend, and they do live together also. Interesting.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Whoa - there - slow down there - I didn't make any derogatory remark about Hispanic people. I asked to understand the culture. It's not understanding, and not wanting to understand (but just wanting to point fingers and judge) that makes a person racist not asking a serious question about a culture. This IS something that Hispanic families here do - and if there is a cultural reason why I just wanted to know, so that I could educate others when they remark about it. IF we understand our differences then we don't mind our differences.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:48 PM on Sep. 19, 2009