Charlie horse remedy?

I am 20 weeks preggo tomorrow and the past few nights I have been getting these awful charlie horses in my calves. Does anyone have any remedies or ways of preventing them?
Thanks in advance!

RaRa921

Asked by RaRa921 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• its a calcium deficiency. you need more calcium and when u do get them.. stand up right away it helps them go away
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Drink lots of water. I got them a lot while I was pregnant and they were horrible and then my midwife suggested that I might be dehydrated. Drinking plenty of water helped a lot.
    sophiafarris

Answer by sophiafarris at 10:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• my grandparents and aunt swear that a bar of soap in the bed will stop cramps and restless leg syndrome but it never worked for me. lol. probably anon's tip would be better.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:31 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I remember those very well. I don't know what prevents them but I will tell you what worked for me. As soon as I was waken up with one I would smack at my husband until he woke up (he already knew what to do to help me) he would grab my leg and stretch out my foot and press the bottom of my toes up towards my knee so that the calve muscle would stretch. LOL It worked every time. It would have been nicer if I could have prevented them though.
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 10:32 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• OMGosh! I got those horrible. Drink lots of water and eat a banana a day - and when you get one make DH/SO bend your toes backwards hard for a few seconds until the muscle stretches out. Bending the toes will force that muscle back out - yeah it'll hurt - but it's a good hurt - just bear down while he's doing it.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 10:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I would get these when I was pregnant from peeing all the time, it's a lack of calcium and magnesium and potassium which are your vital minerals in your body.If you take a mineral supplement it really helps!My grandma swears by putting a "cake of soap under your thigh of the leg that gets charlie horses."Never tried this myself so I don't know if it works.
    shannon2206

Answer by shannon2206 at 10:40 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• As PP"S said make sure to drink lots of water and Bananas daily. And also stretch you legs before going to bed at night and if you do end up getting one try to get out of bed(with help) and stand in a COLD bathtub or tile. Sounds weird but really works for some odd reason because I use to get leg cramps on a daily basis when I was pregnant. Congratulations on your pregnancy also.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 11:16 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• oh my gosh, I was getting them on average about 3 times a week for the last couple of months of pregnancy. I was drinking over a gallon of water a day and eating a couple bananas a day as well. It sure didnt help me. The only thing that works on me is when I get one, I rub and rub the knot until it goes away. Word of advice, if your leg is still hurting the next day, when you wake in the morning do not stretch in bed. Stand up first. Stretching can make one happen.
    vickwu

Answer by vickwu at 2:43 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I may have to eat some more bananas. I think I am getting enough water because I'm always in the bathroom. I'll have to ask the dr. tomorrow about them.
    :)
    RaRa921

Answer by RaRa921 at 10:29 AM on Sep. 20, 2009