HUnt and Fishing licenses costs...How can we expect the poor to pay for these prices?

Resident Fishing License - $19.00
One-day Fishing License - $11.00; please specify date ___/___/___
(Expires on date specified)
Resident Hunting License - $19.00 (must complete survey on reverse)
Apprentice Resident Annual Hunting License - $19.00
(See hunting regulations for details)
Deer Permit - $24.00
Antlerless Deer Permit - $15.00 - must first purchase Deer Permit
Spring Wild Turkey Permit - $24.00
Fall Wild Turkey Permit - $24.00
Wetlands Habitat Stamp - $15.00
Fur Taker Permit - $15.00
Apprentice Fur Taker Permit - $15.00

These are the adult prices for my state. I know that these prices are cheaper than some other states. I know those prices may not seem like a lot to some, but if you are poor and barely keeping the roof over your head and intend to use hunting or fishing to supplement your food this just seems like a slap in the face.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't see a problem with the price. Those are actually really cheap and your saying that if someone is using hunting as a source of food in the house then I don't see why they can't spend just a little bit of money on the license. You can always sell a few packages and make-up for the cost. It's worth it. We spend more than that for our license.
    colesmommy2009

Answer by colesmommy2009 at 10:52 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• WOW! Ya know, I never thought of it that way! That's a very valid point that you're making! Maybe lawmakers should vote to put the licenses on a sliding scale.
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 10:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• i don't see how that's breaking any backs. i know a LOT of poor hunters (with the appropriate licenses) who hunt and/or fish for food not sport. you sell one kill and you've made more than your money back.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 10:55 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Um, you do realize the hunter/fisher is going to be spending money on guns, amo, bait, transportation, camo, etc..right? Thats an even bigger expense.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• OP here I am asking because a family came up and asked us if they could borrow the money for the license from us. I never thought about the price of the license either, my husband and son used to pay almost $60 a year for fishing license where we used to live. It never occurred to me that someone might not be able to pay the prices.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:04 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• * SaraP1989
    really? Well my husband has a bow so no ammo he wears brown no cammo. Fishing we dig up worms or use minnows no cost there. My father packs his own bullets cause it is a gazillion times cheaper. Think one pork roast is 9-12 dollars here one bullet is at the most for my dad 5 cents which will kill a WHOLE deer which will supply enough meat for about 10 meals. so I think you have no clue.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't there limits on how many fish you can catch and what size. I think the same goes for deer and other animals. I started looking at some other states and was amazed at how cheap my state was compared to others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Yeah getting licenses are expensive, those prices are not that bad honestly, here it is for an adult the great thing here is we have a low income license.
    Resident Annual Sport Fishing License**
    $24.00
    Resident Annual Sport Fishing License for the Blind**
    $0.25
    Resident Hunting and Sport Fishing License**
    $48.00
    Resident Hunting and Sport Fishing and Trapping License**
    $62.00
    Resident Low Income Hunting and Sport Fishing and Trapping License**
    $5.00
    Resident Hunting
    $25.00
    Resident Trapping
    $15.00
    But non-residents ha talk about crazy! I will show you one.

Nonresident Hunting and Sport Fishing License**
    $230.00

here is the site. http://www.admin.adfg.state.ak.us/license/prices.html
    Crissy1213

Answer by Crissy1213 at 11:13 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• We are in NY and DH just spent nearly $100 for hunting license to hunt deer and turkey with gun, muzzleloader and bow. Yes it includes other large and small game, but he only hunts deer and turkey. This also included a fee for a doe permit that he had to pay first then see if he could get which was denied!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:15 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Here and in OR I don't think its legal to sell a kill, its a SPORTING license, you can't sell your kill or catch. Also, in OR you only get 1 deer a year.
    auroura

Answer by auroura at 11:33 PM on Sep. 19, 2009