any of you eat lunch meat while pregnant?

i reading u shouldn't eat it during pregnancy but i'm wondering is it really that serious to stay away from lunch meat

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:05 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Pregnancy

• i heard bolagna is bad during pregnacy because of the bacteria cause its uncooked and etc and uncooked hot dogs is bad too idk about other lunchmeats though
    photogrypher

Answer by photogrypher at 11:06 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• i had subway a few times while preggo and i had a friend who worked at one and ate it all the time while preggo, never did any damage
    ilovenoah26

Answer by ilovenoah26 at 11:09 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Yes, it is ok. I ate it and all was well!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:14 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• There are at least two areas of concern in regard to eating lunch meats while you are pregnant: nitrates and listeria.

Pre-packaged lunch meats often contain high levels of a preservative called sodium nitrate. There have been few studies related to the effect of sodium nitrates on pregnancy, but some experts suggest that nitrates may cause problems during pregnancy.

The biggest concern with lunch meats during pregnancy is the risk of listeria. Listeria is a bacteria that can be found in deli meats as well as vegetables and processed foods. This bacteria can cause an illness known as Listeriosis, which can cause any number of problems during pregnancy such as:

- Miscarriage
    - Premature delivery
    - Infection to the newborn
    - Death to the newborn (about 1/4 of the cases of perinatal Listeriosis result in stillbirth or neonatal death.)

Symptoms of Listeriosis may include mild flu like symptoms, headaches, muscle
    momoflilangel

Answer by momoflilangel at 11:15 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I guess I wonder why you would risk it, skipping lunch meat isnt the end of the world, is it?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:17 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• i was told by my doc that as long as it was heated to steaming it wouldn't be a problem. with both of them, in the start of the pregnancy i was determined to be good and stay away from the bad list...9 months later, i was dam well enjoying my tropical smoothie wrap at my baby shower :)
    vabchmommy

Answer by vabchmommy at 11:17 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• If you thoroughly heat it, it is supposed to be fine. I'm skipping it all together just to be safe.
    isamari

Answer by isamari at 11:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• I had subway about twice a week with my twins. They came out fine. I never heard about the lunch meat frenzy until 25 weeks or so. People have been eating lunchmeat thru pregnancy for YEARS. Im sure its rare
    dennysgirl07

Answer by dennysgirl07 at 12:01 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• DELI meat is the problem. I usually get a whole, unsliced ham or salami stick and slice it myself. The risk is listeriosis, and that's a bacteria that gets on the meat from the meat slicer the vast majority of the time. Unsliced meat is the safest, prepackaged sliced next, and sliced in the deli the most risky. But it's rare regardless.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 12:14 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I certainly did. I ate at Subway at least once per week. I also ate store-bought deli meat. My daughter was born completely healthy.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 12:15 AM on Sep. 20, 2009