How do I get my 4 yr old to stop playing with himself? (please read details)

There is not a man in the house for him to copy. There has not been one around him or in the house since he was 3 months old. He does not watch tv unless it is Dora. He does not got to school or daycare. So he is not picking it up there.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:34 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It is not something that children "pick up" from seeing, it is something they happen upon on thier own while exploring their bodies. When my son was younger I thought for sure he was so interested in his penis he would just desensitize it! LOL! Anyway I just kept telling him that he could only touch it in the bathroom or his bedroom with the door closed, no since trying to stop it, it's not like you can take his penis away if he doesn't stop.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:41 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• It's natural. I have no basis of fact, but I THINK it has something to do with the urge to pee. Teach him to take it to the bathroom until he stops. Being sent away will give him the clue that it's not proper to do in public and instill the sense that it's a bathroom activity AND he may get bored with being sent to the bathroom all the time and start exercising some self control (he has some, even if it's limited right now)..... I had two boys and I swear it seems like once they find it - they never let go of it. Good luck.
    PaceMyself

Answer by PaceMyself at 11:38 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• My son is four years old and he has been playing with himself for like a year and a half now, I've tried talking to him telling no but it just seems like his hand never leaves the area. My ten month old tries and plays with his every chance he get, evertime I take his diper off his hand goes straight down there and he has been doing this for a few months now.
    looovemybabies

Answer by looovemybabies at 11:49 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• When my sons are touching themselves i first ask if they need to go pee. If they say no, then i tell them that if they want to touch their penis they can go into the bathroom and close the door, or up into their own room where they can be alone. I tell them that is something they can do in their alone time. ...They usually stop and when they don't they DO go into a place which provides them privacy.
    They are almost 5yrs and almost 4yrs.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:53 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• Don't draw attention to it or make a big deal about it. It's a natural thing it isn't something he has to witness to do. He is curious about his body and the feelings associated with it. My son isn't so bad anymore but when he was younger he was real bad about it i'd just tell him to go to his room and leave it at that.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:06 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• its normal, because it feels good for him. just explain to him that it is not nice to do in front of other people and that he should never do it to anyone else or let anyone else do it to him. dont make it out to be shameful for him. if he starts doing it in front of you, tell him to do it in the bathroom or in his bedroom. dont worry:)
    my little boy barely talks, but he sure knows how to say "doodle" lol. he touches it alot too and fights me to not put diapers on him when i change him bc he wants to play with it. so i just put underwear on him and cover him up...then he can touch it all he wants.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:07 AM on Sep. 20, 2009