At what age would you take your daughter to be put on birthcontrol?

My daughter is 15 and I am not a mother who has her head in the sand. I know that eventually she is going to enter into a relationship where she will give in. I have raised her in a christian home, tried to set good examples for her and given her the knowledge to make the right decisions. Yes she does have a boyfriend who seems to be very respectful of her, us and our rules, but no one is perfect. Him nor our "Angel". Her daddy is open to the idea of birthcontrol, and she has express her interest in the idea. I don't want anyone to think that we are giving her permission, but letting her know that there is more options and hoping and praying she doesen't get pregenant or some STD.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:37 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• When ever she starts showing an interest in wanting to have sex (which your daughter is) is the best time to start talking about birth control.

Also don't forget that yearly pap smears should start as soon as she shows signs of being sexually active (which she will be if she starts using BC) since HPV can still be contracted despite using protection or getting the vaccine (since no vaccine is absolutely 100% effective).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• If she wants to be on them, then now is a good time. My mom offered to take me, but I didn't want to get on them until I was going to be having sex. Lucky I was smart and my (then boyfriend, now husband) was smart too, and I actually DID get on birth control before we had sex. But most kids don't... they get swept up in the moment and don't think about it until it's too late. So if she's open to the idea and she wants to be on it, then take her. And provide condoms too, because the pill doesn't protect against STDs!
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 11:45 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• i would get her birth controll now.....my mom never talked to me about that but i was smart enough and i took myself to planned parent hood and got on bc and used condoms....better do it now and good for you that u talk to her about stuff like that i give u props
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:46 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• i agree with the other posters.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 11:50 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• If she is likely to eventually have sex, it's better that she uses birth control with it instead of not using anything. A birth control pill or a condom won't upset the mood as much as a screaming baby with a loaded diaper. If she feels she is ready to have sex, she should be responsible. As parents, you ARE doing the responsible thing by educating her about this and making protection available. Teens don't need parents to "give them permission" to have sex-if they want to do it, they'll eventually do it. You may want to talk to your doctor about STD prevention also, so that she is knows what is out there. Better safe than sorry.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 12:04 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• oops meant to say to talk to your daughter, not doctor, to educate her about STD prevention.
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 12:06 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My daughter is 16. She's been in a relationship for over a yr now and about six months ago, we talked about bc. She was honest and open with me. I set her up with a gynological exam withe pedi and she went on bc.
    My daughter and her boyfriend are honor roll students, athletes, and good kids, but I am not nieve. I feel better knowing she's been tested for std's, is on bc, and we talk about sex. Nothing is 100% safe, but at least I know she protected.
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 8:21 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• When I sent my 17 year old off to college, getting her birth control was one of the first things I did, she didn't have a boyfriend or friends there at the time but being the realistic peron I am I wanted to be sure there would be no unwanted pregnancies. If your daughter has a boyfriend the likelyhood is high she is having sex at 15, it is very normal even at this young age.
    I don't think you will be sending a message of permission, you will be sending a smart message.

Answer by older at 11:43 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I don't think it's ever too soon. But if she has an interest in starting birth control now is as good a time as any.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:17 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i realize not keeping your head in the sand is a good idea but before you put her on bc. maybe put her on here and have her read some of the posts from the women on here about how old they were when they lost thier virginity and how they felt about it. i've read a few of them and a lot of those women, myself included, wish they had waited.

binker55

Answer by binker55 at 8:51 PM on Sep. 20, 2009