Need some help with health career choice...

I am excited to continue and finally complete an associates degree after having my son. I am trying to figure out which would be the best route for myself after figuring out that I want to work in health care but on the business end...no drawing blood for me!
Either
1)Health Information Technology
2)Medical Administrative Assistant
I would then like to go on and get a bachelors in Health Service Administration which in my program book is more of a management position and a much higher earning level. I think I could do this bachelors program from either choice 1 or 2.

On the bls.gov site it shows that a medical admin assistant would on average make more than an HIT specialist....Im not sure about all of the coding knowledge required for HIT with all of the memorizing.

I am not sure which field to go into, although similiar they are still different.

Does anyon else have some advice on this?

soveryconfused

Asked by soveryconfused at 11:57 PM on Sep. 19, 2009 in Money & Work

• I am good with computers, a fast typer (and spell better when trying lol) and have had a phone office job before and enjoyed it.I think I would like to work in a cancer wing of a hospital. Not sure what possibilities there all are with that or where I really need to start out.
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 11:59 PM on Sep. 19, 2009

• why dont you try for mri ct or ultrasound tech. i know you said business end, but these positions are non bloody and in most places starting salary is around $30/hr
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:21 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• actually ultrasound tech was what I wanted to do orginally about 4 years ago...the program was on a 3 year wait list...which in hindsight would have been fine since i got pregnant and am now degreeless years later.....
    soveryconfused

Answer by soveryconfused at 8:15 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• IMO, I would say the HIT would be smarter, because even though there will be a lot of memorization in school, out in the world you will use the same codes over and over again, and for new ones, you'll be able to look them up. Anything to do with technology is hot right now. The administrative assistant in my office (nurses office at preschool) is in school for that and it looks like a great program.
    And get yourself on the list for ultrasound tech, who knows what else life is going to throw at you!!!!
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 8:52 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I actually went to school for Respiratory Therapy. I completed my studies, but did not like the field once I got into it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:44 AM on Sep. 20, 2009