8 months w/ fever! really worried please help

My daughter is 8 months old and and her first tooth is breaking through the skin. She has had a fever of 100.2 since about 6 p.m. i have had a cold wash cloth on her and given her some tylenol. I just put her to bed and noticed that her feet are like ice. Im really worried is this normal for teething or it is something eles. Is there anything i should or could be doing for her ?

nursinghannah

Asked by nursinghannah at 12:18 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• it sounds like you are doing everything right.my daughter had a fever a few months back i did the same stuff. the tylenol should help a lot
    littledozie

Answer by littledozie at 12:24 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• 100.2 isn't all that high. It's fairly normal to have a spike in fever when teething, as long as she is acting fine and it doesn't get any higher I wouldn't be too worried. Just keep giving her tylenol.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:24 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My son is 6 months and has 2 teeth above the gums, he runs a temp constantly, and i keep giving him tylenol, after every time he eats or about every 6 hours. He about 20 lbs so the chart that my doctor gave me and the tylenol bottle said .08 for the tylenol top line. You need to make sure that you are giving her enough tylenol to compensate for the fever, at one point i was giving to little and he still ran a fever, yeah my son's toes are like ice cubes as well, but i live in ohio and it's kinda chilly here rite now and i broke out the winter sleepers to put him in for his tootsies, but her having a fever i don't suppose that will be good for you. My ds won't keep a blankie on to save his butt, so if he's really hot i put light weight jammies and socks deffinately socks again that's another if you can get her to keep them on thing. If the tylenol doesn't correct it in a couple of days with the temp call the doctor cont...
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 12:25 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I wouldn't call the doctor until it hit like 101 but that's your call if you can get it down the doctor tells me to wait a few hours to see if i can get it back to normal and if i can't get it under 100 then time to go to the hospital. good luck hope this helped.
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 12:28 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I keep getting it down with the cold wash clothes and then it keeps going back up. Its time for more tylenol but she is asleep. this is her first fever and im just really freaking out. Im scared to go to sleep!
    nursinghannah

Answer by nursinghannah at 12:38 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Make sure your putting those cold wash cloths under her arms and not on her head. With 100.2, I wouldn't think it could be dangerous but with a higher fever it could be.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:43 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• For a fever of 100.2 don't give so much Tylenol...it is very hard on their liver...you can give Hylands teething tablets, they worked well for my daughter...Also a technical fever is NOT due to teething...it's a myth and shouldn't go over about 99 when teething...A fever is fighting off some infection. On the other hand, 100.2 is not really considered a "fever" in a baby...when it gets to about 102, then I would give tylenol...His feet could be cold due to the fever breaking, and from sweat...just keep him comfy, give a lukewarm bath. BTW, if he's very uncomfortable from the teeth then I would give some tylenol, just not around the clock, maybe to help him sleep or so he will take a bottle and eat....good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:38 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Oh and BTW...the ER won't be concerned with a fever until it's about 104...it seems high but for a baby, it's not considered high until it gets to that point...I've been through this with my daughter. She's a year old and I had her at the ER twice in a week for a really bad ear infection and her fever went as high as 102.4 and I alternated tylenol with motrin to keep her comfortable....It's scary but you'll get through it.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:40 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Motrin would be MUCH better to give your daughter than Tylenol. But other than that, all you really can do is give her the teething tablets, and keep an eye on her. Don't worry Mama, kids run fevers, you are very lucky that this is the first one she's had.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 7:55 AM on Sep. 20, 2009