Cervix is dilating but baby isn't moving down?

I'm 5 cm. and 75% effaced. I've been making slow progress over the past week but baby has stayed at -2 station without moving.

I'm a little over 38 weeks and this is my first baby.

My doctor is a bit concerned that baby isn't moving down. He is afraid that she will have this problem up to delivery and may end up getting stuck in the birth canal in a bad position or that the cord will come out before baby and we will need to do an emergency c-section..yet he wanted to break my water tonight...

I elected not to have my water broken because I want to see if baby will naturally move down. My doctor seems to think she won't change though..

anyone else experience this? did you baby move down by his/herself?

I'm willing to go to 42 weeks if it means baby will get into the right position herself and reduce the chance of c-section or un-necessary intervention.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:21 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Pregnancy

• You don't want to go too far past your due date. Post-term babies have health risks just like pre-term babies do. If your baby doesn't descend until you go to labor or are induced, there are meds/techniques that will be made available to you. The worst case scenario is that they would do an emergency C section. You have to try to be flexible, even though C sec is obviously not preferable to you. The point is to get the baby out and healthy-whatever that means. Good luck to you :)
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 12:23 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I'm not opposed to having a c-section if it's necessary, I just don't want them telling me that I NEED to be induced NEXT WEEK if my baby could possibly drop down herself. I just don't want to take that risk if it's not entirely needed..

Of course though if they find a real threat I will go ahead and do it.

-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:29 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i think the problem is that you are at 5 cm.. and 75% effaced... im surprised you are there for a whole week. but.. on the other side.. my baby didn't really drop until about the 38th week.. then she was born at 39 wks. if they dont' think there is any harm in it, i could see you waiting a few days. but listen try to keep an open mind cause you want the best possible outcome and not a complete nightmare. take care and congrats may you get the best final result.
    Aasiyah

Answer by Aasiyah at 12:52 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Why does your doctor feel such a need to manage your birth?? Why not just let you be?

The irony is that AROM (breaking the waters is a huge risk for what he "wants to deflect," a malposition or prolapse. AROM is an excellent way to get those.
    (I would change doctors, personally,)
    There is NO way to know ahead of time that your baby "won't move down." Even with a history of such a thing.

What if you never had any vaginal exams? Everything would be 100% fine right now.
    I think that allowing this intervention leads many women to more interventions that lead to more & more. :-(
    IF you had SROM (water breaks) and baby wasn't engaged THEN you may have something to ponder.
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:04 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• doulala - yeah I agree with what you say. I don't know why they made it such a big deal. the more I think about it...there's really no need to worry right now. She could do this on her on, she has plently of time. If I didn't know I was dilated I wouldn't be concerned at all. I may refrain for any more exams until I'm SURE i'm in labor.

-OP
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:22 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• If it makes you feel better, I was 4cm and 65% effaced for a week or so, and my son was way up there. When I went into labor, I had no issues with him not coming down. The contractions started and he started moving downward. Until the time comes where there is an issue, try not to worry about it. Unless there is an emergency situation where they HAVE to do a c-section or induce, they cannot do it without your consent.

Try walking A LOT, it may help baby move down. You still have a little over a week to get baby into position. Also, there are yoga positions you can try to see if baby will move.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 2:22 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• letting a baby "come on her own time" is NOT always a good idea.

http://www.webmd.com/baby/tc/labor-delivery-and-postpartum-period-post-term-pregnancy
    sweetmoonem

Answer by sweetmoonem at 10:46 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I agree with PP - post term babies have been linked with stillbirths and medical problems
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:47 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My babies never dropped before labor at all, i have no idea if i was dilated or not because i don't get checked. Both were born in the 39th week. I would not agree to AROM in your case because of the risks of a cord prolapse (that is a reason for immediate c-section). Also normal human gestation is 38-42 weeks, 40 weeks is just the middle of that.
    I don't understand the rush of these doctors, if my doctor ever suggested AROM at 38 weeks i would be looking for a new doctor ASAP. I think i would rather give birth in a car than with a doctor that would even suggest such an irresponsible thing.
    Cynthje

Answer by Cynthje at 11:08 AM on Sep. 21, 2009