potty training.

im going to start potty training DS on monday. does anyone have any advice they'd like to offer? my game plan is to set the timer every 15 minutes and give a try on the potty. for everytime he "goes" i will give him a mini marshmallow. how long does the whole process usually take? weeks, months?

brodysmama23

Asked by brodysmama23 at 12:28 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Instead of using food how about using stickers on a sticker chart so he can see his progress? .. Every child is different and quite frankly if he isn't ready it can take a year or more.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:30 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Being that you have a boy...he might not want to potty trian right now. My first son was fully potty trained in a couple of weeks and he was 2 and a half....but my second son didn't want to be potty trained till he was three and a half. Every kid is different. As long as you don't make him do it...then it should go fine.
    GotToHaveFaith

Answer by GotToHaveFaith at 12:32 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• im pretty sure he is ready. he takes offhis clothes when he has a dirty diaper. and goes to the corner he poops. so, im getting the body language. and he doesnt really like diapers anymore...and he is like obsessed with the potty and watching everyone else go. we are thinking to reward with food because he is underweight, so every calorie helps.
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:36 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My son would strip completely naked and hated dirty diapers early on (even around 1year old), has always hid when he would use the bathroom, and wanted to follow me each time I went but he still wasn't fully potty trained until he was closer to 4 years old. So that isn't always a perfect sign that they will be ready or easy to train. I mean it may make things a little easier but just giving you a heads up don't expect it to be an easy feat even if he is showing signs. You can find ways to help him gain weight without rewarding with food, if you reward with food there isn't much for them to "see"... One thing i've noticed with most kids is they get a thrill out of seeing their progress. Just a suggestion, he's your kid so do as you feel fit just saying what has worked best in my experience.
    KalebsMommee

Answer by KalebsMommee at 12:41 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I'm planning on using stickers (though you could always use food and stickers) because she will get to see her progress. I guess it's the teacher in me!
    MommyofMolly

Answer by MommyofMolly at 12:44 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• ok so i think i will do both. im gonna make a chart right now. thanks for the suggestion
    brodysmama23

Answer by brodysmama23 at 12:57 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My son is starting to go to the potty. I never really pushed the subject, but I always ask him. If he says No!, then I leave it alone, but If he wants too then I get all excited for him, and clap my hands. lol. He loves the positive attintion I guess.lol. He has been going for 2 months off and on. He turned 2 in may, but like the other posts says all kids are different. Good luck!
    Londyns07mommy

Answer by Londyns07mommy at 1:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I agree use stickers as a reward , thats best. but also why dont you try putting your son in real underwear with some neat charaters on them that he might not want to get wet. and at night put him in training pants that way when he gets uo in the mornings he might not like the feeling of being wet. also make sure he goes to the bathroom before bed . and try telling him during the day when he feels hes got to go to let you know. and youll take him to his potty. and along with the sticker when he does praise him too. show him proud you are of him for doing a good job ,gl
    incarnita

Answer by incarnita at 2:44 PM on Sep. 20, 2009