Bleak future

Anyone else feeling super depressed because of the economy.Maybe it is because my city will have over 25% of its residents unemployed by the end of this year,but I cannot even get excited about school anymore. I don't think that I will be able to find a job when I finish my associates in a year and a half. I had a child out of wedlock, and rely right now on my parents and child support that sometimes comes, but always with a fight. I have debt, have made some bad choices, but I feel if this had happened 7 years ago I would be able to make it work. I love being employed, and i love staying home with my son, but i want to find a happy medium, but even part time jobs are NONEXISTANT in my area. The state of Michigan is seriously garbage right now. I am not even sure what to go to school for anymore because more and more that I read leaves me feeling so down. Its a big hole we cant get out of. I am going to keep trying but is hard

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• I dont mean to sound like a whiner but does anyone else feel this way? How is your area? Where do you live and do people actually get jobs when applying? It is going to get worse in michigan because over 70,000 will be losing their unemployment benefits at the end of the year...meaning less money to spend...meaning more business will be hit hard. It is seriously a RECESSION or worse. People around here are so depressed. My own parents marriage has deteriorated because of job loss. People cannot do things they used to. I just cannot believe how things have changed from when I was a teenager. Neighbors are moving all the time from foreclosure. If it was not for my parents I would be living in a box somewhere and my son would be in someone elses care bc it is almost impossible to get a job that can pay for daycare and has insurance. It's a nightmare around here. How about where you live? Maybe I need to move there.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• also to add that I did work while I was pregnant but even that place I could not get back into bc restaurant business is dying hard in this area. So I am not lazy, I want so badly to work and provide for my son. I get angry that in this economy the richer just get richer and everyone else is being stomped on.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I feel ya.........its bad everywhere. This country is sh8t right now id move to australia if ihad a dime to do it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:52 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I understand where you are coming from completely I live in the ohio valley, we side with wheeling west Virginia and Pittsburgh Pennsylvania. At one point we were known for our steel industry, but now the only jobs that you can find around here are coal mining jobs which thank god my husband is, and there even talking about laying off. My brother a employee of the steel mill has been un employed for over a year the mill opens up for a week for them to get enough time to get there un employment again and then it closes back down. The worst part of it is that my nephew whom is 23 lives with my brother and is epileptic has had to have several brain surgeries over the past few months and if his insurance is cut then they will be shit out of luck for my nephews meds and doctors apts. cont.
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 12:59 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Also some people are so excited about this cap and trade act going through creating new jobs with nuclear energy and wind powered energy they say it will provide jobs. Well that would mean the coal industry having to pay out more money for there emissions, and most of the coal companies around here shutting down completely because of the new nuclear power, and honestly I don’t want my child to live next to a nuclear power plant and there are going to have to be 10 nuclear plans to cover one coal power plant, I know that coal isn’t the cleanest, but honestly, if the coal industry goes down then we will have nothing in this valley. The forclosures are crazy as well as getting work, good luck where your at but it’s not any better here!
    Bluesdawg02

Answer by Bluesdawg02 at 1:03 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Times are tough for many people right now. My life has dramatically changed within the last 6 months. MY DH was laid off in March and thankfully has a job now, but he only makes HALF of what he used to make. I recently started working from home to help us out. (I live in California) It's very expensive to live here. The only thing I can tell you is that everything happens for a reason. I know it's hard to look on the bright side when things are the way they are, but just think about how blessed you are to have a son. It's very good to hear that you have your parents to help. I hope you find what is best for you and your little guy very soon.

Everything is possible when you have Faith.

Message me anytime you feel like you need to talk. That's what this site is for!

Best Wishes!!!
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 1:33 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Yes! Im so tired of being at the bottom of the economic bucket. The economy isnt falling anymore, but we arent climbing eighter. We are just lying here on the bottom, waiting....so to speak.
    It will take sometime to recover, but how much longer is the question...indeed!
    its tough here too! So many places have job freezes! I have found a few sites that have been successful for job hunting, extra work, & sometimes stay at home jobs.1 - WAHM.com. 2- indeed.com 3- oDesk.com

lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 9:42 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I think that what people are going to have to start doing is moving to where the jobs are. Some cities still have a positive outlook for employment. If you remember reading about the Great Depression, that is what those people had to do. They went and found work. I think that with the way welfare and assistance is looking, including Social Security, we are all going to pretty much be screwed sooner than we think. We all need to wake up and not rely on these items. There will be no social security when it is time for us to retire... NONE. We will have to continue to work until the day we die. Sorry, but that is the way it is...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:43 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I'm very thankful this ecomony hasn't hit my family. I am in Louisville KY. I know several people that have been laid off. The Ford plant here is a big employer, but many many other companies had to dowsize. Luckily my dh works for the federal government and his job is as secure as they can be. I work at a major health insurance company. We eliminated a few thousand employees in early 09 and that shook everyone up. They also outsourced many other departments this year. My job has been a rollarcoster. Now they are basically done reorganizing and laying off people, but now i have health care reform to worry about. One proposal would eliminate my job completely. I am in school though for Nursing. that is still in high demand here and will always be in high demand somewhere. I would suggest looking into something in healthcare. I am sorry for your situation. I know Michigan has been hit hard.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:46 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i know how you feel my husband was in the oilfield these past 2 years and was laid off in feb and is still not working...we are living on his unemployment. I am going to school to get my GED and then going to work. there are over 114, 000 people in my town and 30,000 are unemployed. Oil field is not good here. my hubs would go do fast food or something but he has a record and is on probation (2-3 more weeks than he can go drive a truck because he got his CDL) its not good here....
    ShortMommytobe

Answer by ShortMommytobe at 8:06 PM on Sep. 20, 2009