How old were your kids the first time they had sugary snacks?

My son didn't really have any sugary stuff until his 1st birthday when he had cake and ice cream. Do people usually give their kids this stuff earlier?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I really don't remember when it was, but it was DEFINITELY before i wanted them to have junk, THANK YOU OVERBEARING GRANDPARENTS.
    MHaney1980

Answer by MHaney1980 at 1:25 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I gave my dd a chocolate birthday cake for her 6 mos birthday. Daddy was deploying and wanted to celebrate her 6 mo. She wasn't sure what to do with it. Then when she was 8 mos my SIL and MIL gave her some ice cream, she loved it! Then she had cake for her 1 yr. I try not to give it to her regularly and if she gets something but I don't want it, she throws it away. She takes broccoli over chocolate any day! But we used to do candy maybe once a month if that. Lately it's been more frequently than I'd like but we're fixing it!
    idk if people give it to them earlier, but from everyone i've been around they sure do it alot!!! That is why she is getting it more frequently than I'd like!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:29 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I tries so hard to make their first sweets there birthday cakes. I am sure it did not happen, though I never gave them anything. My kids were always with other people and you know how well some people listen. 'Oh well it was jut one bite of my ice cream...' uhg! I think we did better with DD than son though because she made the most awful face for her first bite of icing of of her cake. she refused to eat it!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:02 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• On their first birthday.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:13 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I think my son had his first oreo when he was around 8 months old if I remember correctly. Anyways he LOVES them lol.
    Rosesandlilys

Answer by Rosesandlilys at 9:47 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Probably sometime between 6 and 12 months. It was different for each kid. I have nothing against sugary snacks in moderation. I've been known to let my kids have oreos for breakfast if we have them in the house (back when they were toddlers, too).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:51 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Oh I'[m sure it was sometime before thier 1st b-day!
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:26 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My son would not touch his birthday cake on his first birthday. He was 4 before he would try it. He really doesn't like sweets even at 7 years old.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:43 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• somewhere between 6-8months.... My daughter is 7yrs now and still doesn't really like sweets. She would rather fruits and veggies over a candy bar or ice cream. We went for ice cream this afternoon and she wanted a drink fruit drink instead.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 8:38 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Between 3 and 4.

Answer by rkoloms at 1:06 PM on Sep. 21, 2009