would you take your 15 Month Old to the Dr. for a phlegmy cough?

It is not dry and it sounds like the coughs only purpose right now is to loosen up phlegm but DS wont actually spit out the phlegm. He just swallows it. Sometimes you can hear it get caught in his throat and he sounds like he is purring when he breathes (but doesnt seem to have trouble breathing.)
No fever, fatigue or other symptoms. (other than a slightly decreased appetite but I am blaming that on teething.)
My instincts never sent up any red flags but MIL babysat him today and she seemed concerned. Should I take him in? Or should I try something else first?

jenellemarie

Asked by jenellemarie at 12:56 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I agree with bridgeh2o. I rarely bother with bring DD to the Dr when she's sick anymore. She actually has the same phlegmy cough you speak of! I look at it this way--her immune system is already weak, why would I want to risk exposing her to something else by taking her to a place for sick people?

Run a steamy bath and use a humidifier at night. Dont use any cough medicines (they don't even sell them for children under 4 anymore) as supressing the cough is fighting against what his body is naturally trying to do--rid itself of the excess germy phlegm.

And most of all--go with your instinct!!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:39 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I would try some otc infant cough medicine first since there is no fever. If he spikes a temp or the cough is persistent, I would take him in. Hope your little man is feeling better soon.
    MPWifeJessicia

Answer by MPWifeJessicia at 1:10 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I say call the doctor and tell them what is going on and see if they think you should bring your little one in to see them. That is what I have done in the past since my doctor is not in town.
    Katysmom

Answer by Katysmom at 1:10 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Sounds exactly like my dd when her sinuses are draining. She sounds bad, but never feels bad. After SO many visits 2 the doc, I just check her throat 2 make sure its not really red or white (strep). If its neither & no other symptoms, I give her some sinus meds (from last dr visit) & carry on. Hope he feels better soon!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 2:57 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I agree, call the dr and see what they say. Definitely have baby sleep with a humidifier to clear their passageway. I wouldn't give cough med. Be sure to put vicks vaporrub in the humidifier (as directed). I hope your lil one gets better soon.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 3:12 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• No, I wouldn't take them to the doctor.

I might call the doctor and see if there's anything I could give him though. Cough medicine and the like... but only at night. A cough is a very good thing, especially a productive one, it keeps the mucous out of the lungs, which prevents pneumonia. But the child needs to sleep, so at night I usually give mine cough medicine at night so they can rest.

In fact, do what you can do to make his cough MORE productive. Sit in a steamy bathroom, with the shower running, with him, use a humidifier, even firm back pats are good for making sure it comes up out of the lungs.

As for swallowing it, it's okay if they do. It may make his stomach a little upset, but it will pass through his body just like everything else.

Good Luck and I hope your litlte one feels better soon!
    Cavalrybaby02

Answer by Cavalrybaby02 at 8:15 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• If it's the first time your LO has had a cough like this, I'd say to make an appointment with the doc, just because it's that time of year. Kwim?

As far as swallowing the mucus, my LOs would both do that. But sometimes, rather than passing it, they'd throw it up. Icky but normal.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:27 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• It could be allergies with drainage. You could try some Children's Zyrtec (1/2 tsp every night) and see if that helps.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:03 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• if there are any othr symptoms even one i would take him in,
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 11:00 AM on Sep. 20, 2009