Do you ever feel embarassed to breastfeed?

I was at a friend's party today and felt very uneasy breastfeeding. For some reason, as soon as I pulled out the blanket and draped it over my daughter's head, everyone started staring. "Oh, you breastfeed?" was the first comment. Then of course, "Why?" So then, after the first time, I learned my lesson. The next time my daughter was hungry, I went to the bathroom to feed her. I don't know why, but I just felt very judged, almost made fun of! Has anyone ever felt embarassed or shared similar situations?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:35 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Yes I was at my neighbors visiting and the wife looked like she might just disappear so I felt a bit weird.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:38 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• What ignorant people you are friends with. You should not have been ashamed, they should for being so stupid. You are doing a great job for your baby. Breast is best!

One time I went to visit my grandma. While we were visiting we went to her SIL's house, where she had several friends over. While there my baby was hungry so I covered him as I nursed him. The little old ladies gave me a hard time about how I should never cover up, because a mother feeding her child was such a beautiful thing. LOL I was so embarrassed! I couldn't believe these old ladies wanted to see my boobs. :p Now I realise they were just being friendly, but then I was so shocked.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:41 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My mil would probably die of a heart attack if she saw me nurse the baby. She always says that it is strange that I do that like it is something nasty.
    treynlisa

Answer by treynlisa at 1:47 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Nope. But I firmly believe the court of public opinion has no jursidiction in my life.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:54 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I was never embarrassed, but yes, I often felt judged about it. Never made sense...if ur doing what's best for u & ur baby why should it matter to others?! Ugh- society!
    bridgeh2o

Answer by bridgeh2o at 2:21 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i think the opposite is more embarrasing!!!!! breastfeeding is beautiful and natural and what we are ment to do!!!!!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:32 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i am nervous for tomorrow i am going to my friends babyshower and i know i will have to breastfeed my baby while we are there. she is going to formulafeed bcause she is selfish and thinks boobies r gross and all the other people there dont have kids. i usuall just do it without a blanket or anything when im at the store bcause who cares what a bunch of strangers think. but these r people i know and i feel like there gonna judge me. seince she really wants me to be there i guess there gonna have to see me breastfeed and hopefully it wont be to traumatizing to the non-moms.
    mudgirl

Answer by mudgirl at 6:44 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Never. My DD is almost two. I am self confident that I am doing the best I can for my DD. She's almost two and I still nurse her in public on the rare occasion that she asks to. I rarely covered up with a blanket, and half the time people just thought DD was sleeping lol
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 7:27 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• There are situations where it can be awkward, but I usually don't really care. With my first baby I would hide in a bathroom or car to feed her. But then I figured why should I suffer because I chose the healthiest was to feed my baby when the bottle moms can feed their kids wherever they want. By the time I had my second child I was totally over it. I have been asked to not do it in places (I've had to point out the law), I've gotten a billion dirty looks but I really don't give a hoot. One person I won't nurse in front of is my grandpa, and not because he doesn't think nursing is good, but he gets all weirded out, like uncomfortable so for his sake I hide from him.
    SuperKel

Answer by SuperKel at 7:40 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I did after I had my first. That is why I didn't BF in public. I was also scared of some stupid security guard making a scene since at that point my state didn't have a law protecting me and my son. However, since then my state has passed a law so I feed my baby whenever and where-ever.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:54 AM on Sep. 20, 2009