How would you react if your 17 year old son came home wasted?

I am asking because tonight my 17 year old son came home rather wasted. He is a straight A Student and paid for half of his car and has always been really responsible. So this was somewhat of a shock to my husband and i, but we decided to just handle it with him in the morning after he has slept it off and everything. My husband and i are both pissed off as hell disappointed and worried. I am staying up because we are worried about alcohol poisoning. Not even sure what to do with him considering this has never happened with him before. How would you handle it? How would you discipline your child?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:06 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• He sounds like a typical teenage boy, who happened to make a bad decision that evening. I disipline him in some form, but I wouldnt go to far. He is almost an adult. This is a good time to reeducate about peer pressure, alcohol and drug use, decision making, and reprecusions for bad decisions.
    I believe that a child that age benifits more from education about life, than grounding.
    He sounds like a good kid, but all good ppl make bad decisions at times. But just for a good laugh, I would wake him up with the pan and spoon.....
    momsbreak5654

Answer by momsbreak5654 at 5:53 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• i probably would not discipline him. If it were my child i would express my concerns and let him know that i expect to never see him like that again. But it sounds like you have a good kid and there's nothing wrong with having fun.
    I am hoping he got a ride home. If not, then that might deserve some discipline (like taking his car away for a week). Putting his life at risk is not fun.
    But he is almost an adult and will soon be accountable for his own actions.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:10 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• grounded! no friends and no going out for a week,.. and wake him up nice n ealy and be loud , cuz he'll have a hang over : ) and a big huge talk about drinking and the trouble it brings
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:10 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I agree with the fist poster. It does sound like you have a good kid so i would talk to him and explain why you don't think it is ok for him to drink. If you want to punish him I would say something small since it is a first "offense" as long as you talk to him and let him know that if he EVER does it again there will be serious conseques. for ex taking his car away not letting him go to prom ect...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:14 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• outstandinglove i agree with you with the whole car thing, but not disciplining him , noway, no crime goes unpunished,.. alittle something to show respect to your your parents, coming home wasted is not showing responsability or respect to your parents and how thet feel,,.. my roof my rules is how it goes, and when your 21 then you maybe drink but have respect plz,..
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• well anon 15
    apparently you and i have a different definition of what it means to be respectful to a parent. :) nothing wrong with differing views.
    And i do agree, your house your rules. that's how i was raised. and that's how it is and will continue to be in my house.
    I guess i just dont see what's wrong about a good kid letting loose, letting go of stress and having a good time. Granted, he needs to be taught that that is better done on weekends and that drinking and driving really IS a serious issue. and obviously he needs a lesson in what his alcohol limit is. but everyone needs to let loose sometime. ...that's JMO.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:34 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i wasnt bashing u, : ) i was agreeing with one part of your and then just saying what i would do thats all : ) everyone raises their kids different , but thats how i grew up, my house my rules
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:40 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I would have gave him a few more beers before he went to bed and then wake him up at four am to clean the entire house top to bottom plus yard work. The entire time I would be up his ass like a drill sgt. Not only that but I would take away his cell or computer and freedom for a week or until he learned responsible behavior and earned them back. Maybe its a bit much but my mom punsihed us this way and it worked.
    KayLundy3

Answer by KayLundy3 at 2:47 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• How did he come home? If he drove, I'd take his car... actually I'd take the car anyway, just in case. I'd meet it with firm but fair punishment. I'd first talk about the dangers in the behavior and why the concern, then I'd lay down the law. I'd make sure he knew to call home if he had to, no matter what, and you will be there for him to help him safety is first. But he also needs to know the behavior will not be condoned either, and use whatever punishment you feel is appropriate. It's only the beginning of the school year, hopefully it's not a sign of things to come.
    Seven07

Answer by Seven07 at 2:55 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• He did not drive at all today his girlfriend picked him up at 3pm and she dropped him off wasted at 10:30
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:01 AM on Sep. 20, 2009