Postpartum Depression question

On Monday I am going for my six week check up. I am going to talk to my OB about this. Will they take my baby away? I am crying a lot. I feel sad. Lost a lot of weight and I dont want to eat. I DON'T have thoughts of hurting myself or harming my son AT ALL! But I'm afraid they will take him away. DH says they wont but I thought I would ask you ladies since I'm sure there are other moms out there who have gone through this. Also I am breastfeeding. Is there any meds. that your dr. gave you that is safe to take?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:33 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Health

• They won't take your baby away unless your are putting your child in harms way. Your feelings are very normal...many women experience EXACTLY what you are feeling right now. There is medication that can help even though you are nursing. Congratulations on your little bundle of joy. Hormones can be so frustrating sometimes and that is what you are experiencing. Very normal....your body just needs a little help adjusting.
    KaceesMom

Answer by KaceesMom at 2:58 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• They won't take your baby! Don't worry about that. It's a good sign that you are aware of these mood swings and know that something doesn't seem right, and are seeking help. Some ways you can help combat these depressive symptoms: get outside everyday, open up your blinds and windows- let the sunshine in! When you do eat make sure you're getting whole grains and lots of fruit and veggies. White flour products and fatty/sugary things will actually make you feel worse even though that pretty much eliminates all comfort foods lol. Educate yourself on PPD so you know what is normal and what is not, this will eliminate the stress that is coming with it, you don't need to be blue and worried. When all else fails, brew a cup of tea, cuddle up with your little one and escape into your favorite book for a while. Hang in there, momma! This too shall pass.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 3:05 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Oh yeah, I forgot to add, make sure you take time for yourself everyday. Shower, get dressed, put on makeup if you want. Just looking put together can make you feel more together. You basically have to do the opposite of what you instinctively want to do when you're down. It's just hormones still working their way out of your system, coupled with sleep deprivation and both will settle soon.
    bltcahill

Answer by bltcahill at 3:08 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• No they will not take your baby! They may give you a prescription, but they will not take your baby away! PLEASE make sure you are eating and drinking properly especially if you are breastfeeding! Even if you are not you need the energy to keep going! Make sure you eat some fresh fruits and veggies! They will help!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 5:03 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i took wellbutrin (there is now a generic that costs about 60% less, and works just as well) while breastfeeding. i didn't take it for very long, maybe a month? the only effect we could see in DH was that he slept a little less... he was about 8 weeks old when i started taking it.

be careful what they prescribe to you, it may not be safe to take while BF- and depending on the DR. they may tell you to stop. Do Not Llisten- there is absolutely NO medical reason related to ppd that would make quitting necessary.

good luck hon, no they won't take your baby- if they did, i wouldn't have any of mine.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 9:05 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• They will NOT - I repeat - NOT take a baby away from you because you are suffering from postpartum depression and seek professional help! Now, if you go in and say "I'm depressed and I'm going to kill my baby", that's one thing, but being postpartum and needing to get help is ENTIRELY different!

In fact, if you think about it, talking to your Dr about it is a GOOD thing and shows you're being a good mom - because it shows that you are aware enough and care enough to see there's a problem and want to address it, for your sake and for your baby's sake.

Getting help is a GOOD thing, and your Dr and everyone like that is going to think so, too!
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 9:26 AM on Sep. 20, 2009