"Not So HANDYMan"

My husband is seriously lacking in the "handyman" department! lol He cuts the grass because he just got a new zero-turn lawnmower but he WILL NOT weed eat the flower bed (& it's like a foot and half tall!), replace the ceiling fan in the living room that smells like fire if you cut it on, replace the lightswitch in our bedroom. The light doesn't even turn on, so no ceiling fan in there either... He also doesn't check the oil in the cars or anything like that. lol Seriously, I'm gonna quit washing clothes & cleaning the house! Anybody else's hubby not doing the "man" work???

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:37 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Just for Fun

• My husband can do any handyman chores in and around the home, but only if he feels like it.

May I make a suggestion that I saw on a tv show? Hire a professional to come in and do some of those things and let him see the bills. He'll either learn how to do them or keep allowing you to hire professionals. Either way, the jobs will get done and you won't have to worry about your home burning down.
    Also, you can take free classes at your local Home Depot to learn certain home repair jobs and such. That way you can do some of the easier, less dangerous things. :)
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 12:44 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My DH is deployed ...so if there is "man" work that needs to be done i do it myself.
    When DH is home he is not home for a long time so i try let him relax. But he always ends up helping me with something he knows i need done. Like the dishes, or the kids bath. ...but not much "man" work because he's typically not home long enough to notice what it is that could be done. ...which is fine. i'd rather have him here and helping bathe the kids then screwing in a light bulb.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 2:46 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Yeah and I feel like I am about to lose it. I mean c'mon he can't even put the tissue on the roll after I hand it to him while he's using the restroom.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:53 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Every time we need something fixed/ put together/ requires a brain + hands, my DF calls me. You'd think he would, him being all buff and from Brooklyn, all tough and what-not. Nope.

I am usually the one who breaks out the tool kit and fixes things, suggests what to get at Home Depot. Ikea? Forget it. The directions are the EASIEST in the world with PICTURES and no words, and he STILL will flub them up! I'm pretty good at figuring out what's wrong with the car too (family full of mechanics, and I REFUSE to be ignorant when it comes to something as important as my car), but I'll at least give him that. He's done OK in the car department.

*Sigh* It's a good thing I'm one to learn to do things myself.
    ThaMCE

Answer by ThaMCE at 4:29 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My dh is exactly the same way. I have come to terms with it now but it certainly gets annoying. This past week I bought a new desk for our office and put the entire thing together and still had to make dinner and clean up the kitchen.
    ajw1980

Answer by ajw1980 at 6:48 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Nope my hubby is very handy but works 12 hour shifts on midnights so if the ceiling fan or light switch needs replacing I do it. Seriously, it is NOT hard. You can get do it yourself home repair books at the library to help you learn to do these things. Just cause Hubby is a guy dosnt mean he is handy.The only person you can truly rely on in this world is yourself.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 9:13 AM on Sep. 20, 2009