Do you think it's important to...

pick out the people you want to have custody of your kids if you were to die? Who would you choose?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:59 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in General Parenting

• I think it's very important! You never know when you're going to die - accidents happen ALL the time, and these are going to be the people who will be raising your children and shaping who they'll become.

Think about it like this - if you were going to go on an extended trip, would you take the time to select someone you could trust to take care of your pets, water the plants, bring in the mail, etc? And those, in comparison, are minor things, and it's for a temporary basis.

Also, if YOU don't select someone, then it's not automatically given to your next of kin, the State has a say in it/ will pick - whether it's them determining who they will allow to have them, or whether it's in a court where various people are fighting over them.

Our kids are teens, and we still have appointed guardians in case something happens. It's my sil and her dh, with my fil executor of our estate / managing our life insurance $ for them.
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 6:30 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Yes I think it's important. I don't down anyone else for not making these kinds of plans but I'm a planner, lol. I have to think about EVERYTHING. We chose my husbands bestfriend and his girlfriend. They are an awesome couple and our children love them very much. I know if something were to happen to us, they would be very loved and taken care of.
    Katrina3016

Answer by Katrina3016 at 3:17 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Yes...I think it is important, even though we have not done that yet. We don't have much family and so I don't know who I would choose. Man now you got me a bit worried, but it does not help that I am pregnant and soooo sleepy and awake!
    Rebecca727

Answer by Rebecca727 at 4:59 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I don't but that is because I don't really have anyone I trust with my kids so I have no one to leave them to.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:56 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I do not have any plans though I can honestly say that there is not one person on either side of our family I would not want my kids to go to. For simplicity's sake if anything should ever happen I should go ahead and think about it I'm sure. That way they won't be stuck in custodial limbo.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:04 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• A friend of mine made a will specifically because there wasn't anyone on either side she wanted raising her kids. It said that if her and her dh died, then custody went to a friend of hers. It also said that their families would have visitation rights, but that if they contested the will, they would lose the visitation rights.

She did it exactly because there wasn't anyone on either side that they wanted raising their kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:12 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• We did ask our nephew and wife to be guardians for our kids, but now that they are divorcing we have to think of someone else to leave the kids to. I think we will probably ask our other nephew and his wife. I know I do NOT want my sister to have my kids, and our parents are all in their 60's, 70's so a bit old to be saddled with young children.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 2:02 PM on Sep. 20, 2009