Could you give up chocolate?

I was just answering a Halloween post and someone mentioned she was sure god was okay with chocolate. But the bible does specifically say that believers are to have nothing to do with anything pagan. Since chocolate was once exclusive to pagan gods and ancient tribes, and used in pagan fertility rituals, what would chocolate-addicted christians do if you found out god really did disapprove of chocolate? (Heathens, please feel free to bring plenty of desserts to this post to show them what we're having.) :O)

roachiesmom

Asked by roachiesmom at 4:55 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Honestly I would not give up chocolate, it's been around for years and since I was a child My mother always bought me candy bars and just growing up I like it when I'm on My period, and it also calms me down and makes me more happy. I never seen chocolate as a bad thing.
    Hesmynavyman

Answer by Hesmynavyman at 5:04 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I'd say "What was once is no longer, for it is a simple delicacy to all woman-kind, and aids in comforting us during many times of hormonal outrage."

That's like saying cats are evil because the Egyptians worshipped them as gods. lol

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 5:05 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• never heard of that b4...give up chocolate...i can probably try but cant promise..love it way too much.
    BuzyMamma

Answer by BuzyMamma at 6:21 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Another reason to love Pagans:)

beeky

Answer by beeky at 7:55 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i never heard of that before. . i dont even really like choclate that much anyways. if i have to have a cany bar i only buy the white choclate for my self and milk choclate for the kids NOw my hubby LOVES choclate
    BOOGIETHEBOOG

Answer by BOOGIETHEBOOG at 8:02 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• gross i hate chocolate!!!!! but if i had to give up my kitties i would choose a different religion ;]

i love my cats!!!
    pookipoo

Answer by pookipoo at 8:07 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Pagens also used our modern day cross as a symbol for their worship so should we get rid of crosses? They used wine and beer as well. Something is only bad for you in God's eyes if you let it come before your responsibilities to your family and God.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 8:56 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Actually vbruno - there is a very large amount of argument in the "upper" christian society debating if Jesus was even hung on a cross. Because the Church did not begine to use the Cross as their symbol until almost the 4th century and because it was a fertility symbol. Also, there is the simple reason that it would have been very odd for the Roman to hang anyone on a cross. At that time in history they were only using stakes. His hands would have been nailed above his head. Also because as we understand the languages better the words that were used to discribe the cross also translate in to stake. So, if you wish to stop using the cross, it could be a good idea.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:57 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I would like a little more proof that we are not to have anything to do with pagans, since most early Christians were converted pagans and Jews. I would also like to understand how chocolate was exclusively pagan. Really? Jewish people didn't eat chocolate?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• "Something is only bad for you in God's eyes if you let it come before your responsibilities to your family and God. "

bottom line..does it hinder your (ours, since you're baiting xtians...for drama? idk) worship of God? that's what should concern the xtian..not like eating a bag of m&ms is going to send me to hell...my disbelief and unrepentence will do that. (since you're asking xtians..)
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:08 AM on Sep. 20, 2009