teeth grinding

my almost 15 month has been grinding her teeth for fun. She used to do it a couple months ago and stopped, but now she picked it back up. It drives me nuts and I'm scared that it will ruin her teeth. Is there anything I can do to stop her?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 7:29 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Don't be too scared that it will ruin her teeth--it takes adults years to hurt their teeth from grinding, and she's a toddler--they'll all fall out in a few years. Have you talked to her pediatrician's office about it? She may be practicing chewing.
    SWasson

Answer by SWasson at 7:53 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My 12 month old has been doing this too and its the worst sound. She grinds them hard since she has got two teeth on top and two on bottom now. I think I may have heard this on cafe mom not sure but I give her a large carrot. One big enough that she can not bite big pieces off. She thinks its funny and walks around the house with it chewing occasionally. Ill pack one when we go out, etc. People think its hilarious when they see this little girl with a big carrot. It keeps her from using the pacifier to chew on since we are trying to ween her off it anyway. Not sure if you little one is old enough where he may bite a large piece off or not. I just keep a close eye when she has it.
    peace4mama

Answer by peace4mama at 1:59 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• my son does it ever time his teeth come in it drives me nuts too but it gose away before i know it
    cailie71608

Answer by cailie71608 at 10:34 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I like the idea of the carrot although my daughter did it around the same age as your baby. It is related to teething and I think it is their way to cope with the discomfort. It sounds worse than it is. I found these really great mini popscicle that are "slow melt" as they are water based with jello. She loves them and helps. It may not be as effective when out (as you can't produce one) but it helps around the home. Good luck and patience. :-)
    MamaMae08

Answer by MamaMae08 at 11:35 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• thanx for all ur answers. now that cailie and mamamae said something about teething, he made me remeber that the last time she did it was when she was getting more teeth and and now she is in full blown teething mode.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 1:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2009