Attend or put class off for a month??

Oh boy, I need some advice...

My neices' step m0ther and I are throwing her a baby shower. This was a thrown together party and I have 6 guest coming. Her stepmother has almost 20. The stepmother is doing most of the food and has this together.

Okay. I am taking the Real Estate course and paid for a weekend cram course. I have just learned that the only class in the month of October is the weekend of her party. I really need my license because my dh is a broker and needs me to work and I will have to put my life off for a month...

Would you consider ducking out? I talked to my mom and she said that she would cover my part, but I could tell that she was very unhappy.

Thanks for any input, this is a tough one.

jalex

Asked by jalex at 8:45 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Money & Work

• I would talk to everyone concerned...surly they can see the difference between a party and a persons necessity for income. Do everything you planed to do in advance so that you not "ducking-out" or "passing the buck" to your mother.(.thats not fair to expect her to clean up your mess & wrong of you to ask). Do what you promised. You dont have to attend the party, but you do have to fulfill the commitments you promised - YOURSELF! Then go attend your crash course. You can do both, just get organized...
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 9:53 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I told my mom that I will buy everything as planned and prepare it the night before. I can at least feel good about that ;)
    jalex

Answer by jalex at 10:03 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Events shouldn't revolve around one person, unless that person is the guest of honor. Asking everyone else to rearrange their schedule for you is out of the question. Doesn't look like you're considering that anyway. Sounds like you need to duck out of the party, but not your obligations to help prepare.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 10:49 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Of course you need to attend the course, obviously this involves your family's livelihood. Do what you said....prepare all the dishes that you said you would, provide anything else that was agreed upon and thank your mom profusely for delivering it all to the babyshower. Call the stepmother after your class to see if she needs help cleaning up. Give your neice a nice gift and apologize that you couldn't be there.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 3:37 PM on Sep. 20, 2009