Astral Travel

Astral projection is a form of out of body experience that sometimes occurs during lucid dreaming during deep meditation or at times of crisis. The astral body (or "etheric double"), moves free of the physical body in a parallel world known as the astral plane. Astral Travel in the astral body is spoken about in may mystical texts and has more recently been studied by scientists investigating reports of people who have has a near death experience.

Have you ever had an out of body experience. What were the circumstances around it and were you frightened or was it a calming sensation?

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 9:43 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Once you master entering the Astral Plane by your own hand, it souldn't hold such fear for you. I would sugest looking in to the book: Astral Travel for Beginners: Transcend Time and Space with Out-of-Body Experiences by Richard Webster

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:11 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Well, yes, I have. However I have had them on porpose so I was never afraid. My Astrial Travel Experinces have always been rather calm and beautiful. However I can imagine that someone who was thrown in to this state because of physical trauma would have a quite horrifying experience. For me it is a slow process of meditation and finally reaching a point where I can leave. But with practice I am able to reach that point much faster.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:50 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I'm one of those people who have had numerous terrifying experiences! Many time this has happened to me and it always gives me a sense of fear and panic because I feel I can't  get back to my body. When I was little, I just thought these were nightmares, but as I got older I realized how lucid these experiences were- it's like a dream, but different; the way the color looks and the general feeling is not the same the same as if you're dreaming.

Can you reccomend a way to perhaps learn to control these or make it less frightening for me?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 9:55 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I would first have to ask if you're actually attempting to do this or if you are slipping out of body accidentally. Since you said you thought they were simply dreams I would have to assume you were not trying. And yes, I can imagine that would be a scary experience.

Learning to control your experience can be difficult because you will have to learn to control things normally beyond your conscious control. But I would suggest starting with meditation first.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:09 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• You know, a very good friend of mine once told me I did. It was when I had my hysterectomy, I was in the hospital over night, and it was the longest night of my life, I would go to sleep only to be wandering the halls, it was weird and hard to explain, it's like I was floating around the halls, it truley sucked because I was sooo tired, but I wasn't frightend. Oh and one night I had a dream that my dog went to the bathroom in my family room, when I woke up the next am it was in the same place that I "dreamt" it, so I don't know what you would calls those, but odd experiences for sure
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:18 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Thanks Sabrina!
    IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 10:29 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• I have had one experience, an accident brought on by trauma. It was not frightening but I was mostly confused at the time & I believe my mind was trying to insulate itself by stepping away from the situation. It was very brief. It did not particular scare me or calm me. I continued to be confused & somewhat hysterical. At the time I didn't even think about the fact that I was out of my body. It was only later, when I found that I had seen things I shouldn't have seen from my vantage point, that I realized I must have had a brief moment where my consciousness detached itself from my body. I am not sure if it is something I would want to pursue now (on purpose) because it is something I attach to a situation of grief.

nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 20, 2009