4th Grade Flute... Rent or Buy?

My daughter - 4th grade/newbie - will start flute lessons/band with her school. I see on EBay, many $110-135 Gemeinhardt 2SP and Yamaha student used flutes from kids who lost interested. The ones I'm watching have scratches but no dings. I'm thinking... if my daughter loses interest, I can resell it on EBay and receive a portion of my money back. If I rent a flute, I will have to pay $135-$180 for the school year depending on the store.

I never played an instrument let alone purchased one. I don't want to get taken because of my inexperience! What should I do? What should I look for? What's the benefits of renting & buying? Help!

Tyonci

Asked by Tyonci at 10:16 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would rent
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:20 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i would buy .. who wants a used flute?!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:26 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Before you decide see what the rental place offers, a lot of them offer free repairs as part of the package, and with kids it happens, also a lot of them will apply your rental fee to the instrument if you decide to buy it later down the road. If this is the case then this is the option I would go with.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 10:46 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• WE purchased ours it was only $25 more then renting for the year, it just made more sense. Also check your local music store to see if they have any used ones, if they do you know they have cleaned and checked them out to make sure there are no problems. I just went through all this with my son and his trumpet YEAH ME! at least yours picked a flute its easier on the ears.
    3_ring_circus_

Answer by 3_ring_circus_ at 12:00 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• My son started trumpet this year. We bought a used one for 100.00 dollars. We had the same thoughts as you do. He has the recommended brand with scratches. If it is a rental chances are it was used as well.
    robinsi2000

Answer by robinsi2000 at 6:33 PM on Sep. 20, 2009

• i would check for a rent to own program. when i started band thats what my mom did. it was 2 years of payments i think. if she does it for a year and doesnt want to continue just bring it back to the store. if she continues then she has a new flute of her own
    treystiredmommy

Answer by treystiredmommy at 12:48 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• We purchased a Sax for our middle school dd new because we got the % off if you buy new and w/so many keys and more to go wrong w/a sax we chose to buy new. We had 1 week between her testing for the instrument till the 1st day for band which made it hard to look around for used. We got a insurance pkg for $6 a month just in case something needs repair so it's free. Our music store has a return policy if you return the instrument they take off however many months it's been used (the rental price) and return the rest of your money.
    cat4458

Answer by cat4458 at 10:47 AM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Any good rental program will professionally sterilize a mouth instrument before renting it! Buying is sooo much money, plus you never know if she's going to stay interested. And I agree with the rent to own as well... if she's not interested in a year, they'll take it back... if she is, she's got a new flute that she's already familiar with.
    crittermomma

Answer by crittermomma at 12:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Try a pawn shop we got our daughters there had to have pads replaced but she got top of line flute for about $150. She used it through school and still plays it once or twice a week. Pads have to be replaced about once a year (spit rots them)
    higherboundmom

Answer by higherboundmom at 2:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2009

• Something else you should consider is that children her age often change their minds about the instrument they really want to play. Quite often, they start off on one and decide they want to try something else. When our children were young, there were some rental programs with the option of applying rental fees to the purchase price. That might be a good way to go, and they might even let you apply the fees toward a different instrument should she decide to switch.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:39 PM on Sep. 21, 2009