My son was first to roll over and sit in his class. Now all the other children are starting to crawl, clap, wave or learn things parents are teaching him while my son has not. I spend all afternoon (afterwork) with him teaching him how to crawl, clapping and showing him how to by clapping his hands; but nothing. I am starting to wonder if he has learning problems. He is 7 months. Any ideas?

dirogo

Asked by dirogo at 10:17 AM on Sep. 20, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My grandson was 8 months old and could only roll to where he wanted to get. He couldn't crawl either. Just keep working with him. Once he masters it and gets into everything you will wish he didn't crawl again! Some just take longer to do things. Don't be in a hurry. He will do things at his own pace and it's all good.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:19 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Yea leave him alone, he will figure it out. It's not a contest. My son didn't sit up till 7 months, didn't crawl till 9 months, where my daughter was crawling at 4.5 months and walking full time at 9 months. He's fine, enjoy him
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:19 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• He'll crawl when he is ready. I wouldn't worry.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• he'll learn how to do all of that stuff soon enough. every baby is diff. some babies don't ever crawl, they just go straight to walking.
    mommytobobby

Answer by mommytobobby at 10:27 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Wow... you are going to stress that poor baby out. Just let him do stuff at his own pace. Life's not a competition mom. I would hope you realize that before he gets older, so that he can grow up normally. Some babies never do this stuff, they just walk when they are ready. It does not mean there is something wrong with them. Chill out.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:32 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Whoa, calm down. My son never crawled, went straight to walking. Just play with your child. Sheesh, I hate to see how you are when he's in school. They don't always have to be the best and the fastest. Please get that now before you have the kid wound up so tight by the time he's in 3rd grade he'll think he's a failure if he gets a B.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:36 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• my daughter didnt crawl until 8 months
    amymartinez0214

Answer by amymartinez0214 at 10:44 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• First of all...crawling is NOT a milestone. SOme babies never do it...second, PLEASE stop comparing him to other babies...that is one of the biggest mistakes parents make...who cares what they are doing. all babies develop at different times..he's only 7 months...enjoy it and dont' rush it. Pretty soon, you won't be able to catch him!

People really need to learn to start enjoying their babies...time goes by way too fast.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 10:48 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• He's 7 months! Let him be and he will pick it up on his own time. My daughter never crawled. She went from sitting there to pulling herself up to walking. And she didn't walk until 14 months. She didn't sit up on her own til she was 9 months. She is 2 years old now and ahead of most of the kids her age. My son however crawled at 5 months and walked at 10 months. Babies are just different. He doesn't have a learning disability. He's just a baby and babies take their own time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Sep. 20, 2009

• Try not to stress over it... he'll do everything on his own time. You can still encourage some things by playing with him... and one day he'll just start doing it on his own.
    Just have fun and play! Play games like pat-a-cake, peek a boo, put object just out of reach and see if he'll scoot, sing songs and read books and just enjoy him.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:01 AM on Sep. 20, 2009